Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Special Bodied M Type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  09:45:03  Show Profile
There is a 1930 M Type advertised on the Classic Cars for Sale web site. The description says it has a known history from new and has never been restored. The body is not a standard M Type one though. It has a slab petrol tank at the rear, cut away doors, a flat single piece windscreen and cycle fings at the front. Can anyone identify the body since it appears to have been on the car since new.

Cheers

Jan T

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  10:33:18  Show Profile
Mike Dalby would be your best bet, or just ask the seller for more info. One wonders how that fuel tank is attached to the body?
JH

Edited by - JMH on 12/06/2011 10:33:46
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  11:17:18  Show Profile
Jan, The photograph appears to show the Reg Number as MG 704. This Reg Number is shown on a list which Mike Hawke gave to me a couple of years ago, and against it Mike had noted "McEvoy bodied".

No sign of MG 704 on the current Register however.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  12:33:46  Show Profile
Or "no more nails"? - I have my sense of humour because it's chucking it down & us hardy (or just plain stupid) sorts are leaving in 1/2 hour for Charmy Down for a bit of cone bashing. I suspect I'll be the only MMM - maximum points then!

JH
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  23:45:49  Show Profile
Well done Jeremy,

If you did go up to Charmy Down then you certainly deserve the points, it certainly was wet at the South Welsh end of my hoped-for trip.

I had entered the PB as its first event after its long sleep, but unfortunately two punctures yesterday left me stuck awaiting rescue for the late afternoon and evening. Though I repaired one puncture I was left with one inner tube in shreds and no useful alternative at 10:30 pm on a Saturday. I must be gaining some sense at last because fifty or so motorway miles one way without a usable spare wheel did not seem like a good idea. So discretion and my and my passengers' comfort over-ruled optimism in my case.

Andrew Smith - MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  21:31:14  Show Profile
MG 748 is on the 3M 2009 register no. 2829, and is chassis number 2M1506 and has been for sale since at least 2009. It was originally built on 16.April 1930, and there are no records of the body apart from being a two seater.
The door line is very similar to the McEvoy, but not sure how many he made. The name, what appears to be "Poodle " on the side must have a story!
There was also MG 703 (2m 1910,3M reg no. 814, built on 24.6.30)and did the Scottish Rally driven by Lt Cmdr G. M. D. Maltby (Sports Car p87 1936)
MG 704 trialled on the Exeter and the Buxton in 1930 by J. A. Berry. Had a very "strange" windscreen with higher than normal side pillars and more square along the top. (No chassis number)
MG 709 appears standard in the car park of the Bugatti O.C. meeting. (No chassis number.)
Then there is MG 764, 770, 787, etc.
Hope this helps !
Mike Dalby.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  21:35:08  Show Profile
Looks like a J Type fuel tank but with no pipework on top...

My guess is a homemade body...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2011 :  19:00:54  Show Profile
Has anyone seen the M Type featured in Classic and Sports Car January 2012. It's on page 195 and is a test of one of the cars advertised in the magazine. I think it is the M Type with "special" body discussed previously. The magazine reports that "the brass is nicely weathered" - they should have said someone has cleaned off the chromium plating and not bothered to get it redone.

All the best for the New Year
Jan T
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  00:44:21  Show Profile
I have the impression the word on the bonnet is "Pootle" which apparently means "to wander".

Not many find the body really convincing.The petrol tank just looks wrong.

The consensus seems to be that "Pootle" is a 'special' built to look like a J2 with a coincidental resemblance to a McEvoy (but I understand the McEvoy carried its tank underneath as did a Side Valve Minor).

Since McEvoy conversions appear to have been carried out on existing cars (rather than rolling chassis from the factory) I doubt if a similarity in registration would have had any particular meaning.

The price of 'Pootle' has tended to be in the region of £14,000 which probably looks too expensive when compared with an M-type with a standard body.On the other hand the registration number would appeal to those who are impressed by such things.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 28/12/2011 00:45:47
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  08:35:59  Show Profile
It's a pity the photo is so poor. It's very hard to see where the tank is. Surely if McEvoy were being fashionable then the tank would be as J2 ( and 'Pootle'). And it is quite possible that is where the tank is in this photo particularly as they tell us to note it. I presume no one has had a chance to have a really good look at this car; it is usually fairly easy to spot a home-made body. Does it, for instance, have 'really deep wells for the passengers feet'?

Ian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000