Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 McEvoy M-type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  17:02:58  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me anything about the McEvoy M-type which existed in the early 1930's as a conversion of the standard two seater? Have any examples survived or does anyone know where I can find out more?

Sam

Reinout

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  03:33:16  Show Profile
A while ago this M was offered for sale. It has no spare but otherwise it looks similar.

Reinout Vogt
1931 M-Type 2M/2735
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  12:23:01  Show Profile

Reinout, I think the one in your picture is a similar concept but probably built in the 1950's or later.The McEvoy petrol tank was at the back but I have the impression it was probaly mounted under the chassis in the style which became standard with the Morris Minor.The picture above apparently appeared in Motor Sport in June 1932.

Below,the same car in 1930 (with a different non standard screen) prior to McEvoy conversion.Photo thanks to Mike Dalby.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 05/11/2011 19:43:43
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  13:48:22  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by sam christie

"Reinout, I think the one in your picture is a similar concept but probably from the 1950's or later."

Sam,
I don't know if the 1950's was a typo but the registration number is only 44 registrations apart. Being issued in Middlesex that would probably have been issued in the same week - month. Pending of course
if the Reg. is original.

Having said that though it appears odd that one should be fabric covered and the second one metal.

Brian.

Sorry, Sam. It was early for me and I was only on my first cuppa.
I now understand what you meant. A re-built body in the fifties.

Brian.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 03/11/2011 14:36:51
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  10:02:09  Show Profile
Gentlemen,

The MG run of Registration plates was, by and large, bought as a block by University Motors, the London Distributors of MG cars in 1929 or 30, and it is no surprise therefore that they were mostly originally issued on MG cars. These were sometimes retained by owners, so it is difficult to be sure of the date of issue from the sequence of numbers.

MG 704 was a car used in many competitions over the years, and I have the name "J.Berry" as the first owner, although at this time no actual chassis number for the car. Hopefully, I will find this in due course, as I am now trying to match pre-war chassis to registration numbers and to events: it is a long painstaking business.

As to the McEvoy Specials, one was used in 1936 by Leslie Onslow-Bartlett, although by then it was regarded as a car of amusement, and was stripped down to not much more than a chassis and painted gold all over, when it was known as the "nugget". This was 2M 0384, a very early 1929 car, originally owned by P.Burdott, and registered TM 5284. McEvoy had involved himself closely with the Wolseley Hornet by this time, and had also been involved in the design of a twincam head for the R-type racing car.

History is interesting, isnt it?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  18:45:04  Show Profile
Thanks Mike,here is another picture of the car prior to the McEvoy conversion (unusual screen again) captioned "Berry at Ibberton Hill Dec 1930"

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 05/11/2011 18:45:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000