Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 2 cars with the same registration number
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Volumex

Switzerland
17 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2012 :  11:38:56  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

I'm the swiss owner of PB0465/MG3717 and I'm new on the forum. PB0465/MG3717 originally was a tourer. The car has been in rolling chassis form for a number of years and we've decided with Andy King to rebuild the car as a Q type (with PB engine, front mounted volumex, ENV 75 gearbox, 12' brakes, etc.) - sorry if this decision is not to the liking of everyone, I don't want to reopen the debate on this matter.
There is actually 2 MG 3717 listed on the register. The chassis I own came with the green vehicles act registration book from the sixties with a first registered name, Mr John Patrick Owen from Wellington, Somerset. This registration name has been cancelled on 13th Jul 1967. We really know nothing about the life of the car before this date. Maybe someone heard about it ?

Regards

Jean-Marc

Edited by - Volumex on 20/08/2012 01:26:08

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2012 :  20:52:02  Show Profile
A photograph of the actual number stamped on the chassis would help. Green 'log-books' were easily available, on request, in some areas in the more informal 'sixties and are not always accurate.

The chassis is your property; you can make anything you like out of it.
Go to Top of Page

Volumex

Switzerland
17 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2012 :  22:06:05  Show Profile
Indeed DVLA records says that PB0465 is MG3717. Here is an old post who mentioned PB0465 and MG3717 : http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4398&SearchTerms=PB0465. On old copy of the register, it seems that MG 3717 is claimed by both PA1902 and PB0465. This old post doesn't help to clarify the situation but my message was not accurate. What we actualy know is that 2 cars are with the same ID on the register.

Jm
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2012 :  23:08:07  Show Profile
Are there actually two cars on the Register with the same chassis number? My 2009 Register only lists one PB0465, but, yes two cars claiming MG3717. It seems that neither are in the UK but If either were to return I can see that the registration number might become an issue and DVLA would probably become involved...

Chassis files will probably tell which was originally MG3717 and the registrar holds a photo (s) of PB0465 which might provide further information.

I have come across several stories of one car being salvaged from the remains of two and that might be what happened here. Were the two cars ever in the same ownership?

One for the Registrar!

Good luck with the rebuild.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Volumex

Switzerland
17 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2012 :  02:01:19  Show Profile
Sorry if my first message was realy confused. I corrected before it becomes completely unintelligible. PB0465 chassis is now rebuilt with a black Q type body. MG3717 is its actual UK registration number as its V5 and green sixties vehicles act registration book say. There is one PB0465 only but 2 cars with the same registration number (MG3717) in the register. My car (PB0465) is the official MG3717 because its actual V5, its old green vehicles act registration book and the DVLA database say it is. If DVLA and the old official green log book aren't wrong, what happened with the register ?

Jean-Marc

Go to Top of Page

Volumex

Switzerland
17 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2012 :  21:54:07  Show Profile
At the request of many, here is a picture of the chassis number.

Jm

Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2012 :  08:41:34  Show Profile
I thought that the chassis number was stamped on the side of the frame just behind the end forging? And was it on the offside or near side? What is other peoples experience and ws the factory always consistent?

Gordon
PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2012 :  08:51:24  Show Profile
In my experience chassis numbers have always been as per Jean Luc's photo.

I have read of them sometimes being on the left hand dumb iron but never on the side rails.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2012 :  10:42:40  Show Profile
Chassis numbers were usually factory stamped on the left hand knuckle, on the top rounded surface. Exceptions to this rule are chassis set for export. Quite why, I'm unsure. The factory stampings were done by hand so there is much room for variance in spacing and line up of letters and numbers. I'm unaware of any stamping on side rails, unless an owner decided to carry this out on his/her car.

I'm looking into this case and will feedback.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2012 :  11:38:51  Show Profile
The chassis numbers on a TA /TB/TC are stamped on the near side(LH)side rail just behind the spring mounting. This may be the confusion. Not easy to remove without serious damage to the chassis!
On the P type chassis the forging with the number is on the RH side and is generally fixed with a rivet to make removal difficult. Must be why in days gone by chassis numbers were filed off the dumb iron in order to hide its identity for some reason or other.
Interesting what Robin finds in the records.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2012 :  12:16:49  Show Profile
Here's the chassis number on my one previous owner TC (TC0750). The Abingdon chassis stamping man obviously forgot that he had just stamped TC0749 which is why you can see the '4' behind the '5'.

JOHN JAMES

Edited by - John James on 21/08/2012 12:22:04
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2012 :  12:29:44  Show Profile
So there is no confusion the chassis numbers on Triple-M cars were usually stamped on the right hand /off side knuckle which is on the left hand side when viewed from infront of the chassis.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2012 :  23:01:57  Show Profile
Hi Jean Marc

I've replied to you off line about this. It appears some confusion between this chassis and PA 1902 in the past. You should have no problems with it now.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

Volumex

Switzerland
17 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2012 :  23:15:31  Show Profile
Hello Robin,

Thank you for the very effective and helpful work you did. Long live the Triple-M register !

Best regards

Jean-Marc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000