Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Octagon Heaven
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnSteedman

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  18:06:15  Show Profile
My J1 "boxes of bits" came with 270 bulletins written/edited by George Jarrard in California between 1979 and 1986. I find them fascinating (especially his duels with some of our leading MMM suppliers, who he tactfully leaves unnamed!), and a true "labour of love". Can our US subscribers tell me more about George and his amazing project. I have used the "Search" function and can find no reference to Mr. Jarrard or Octagon Heaven , the place we all aspire to in the end.

John Steedman

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  19:06:27  Show Profile
John,
George was an American enthsiast of the late 1970s and 1980s. He purchased a J2 and set about to gather as much information on the J2 as he could gather. Thankfully, he committed much of this gathered knowledge to paper and offered it in a series of articles to other such enthsiasts. The cost was a nominal amount to cover his time and the coyping of the material. We'd receive 10 to 20 articles at a time over the period of several years. Remember, in the 70s and 80s there was precious little written information on restoring ANY Triple-M car, so his articles were the basis of many restorations, including my own.

I have not heard from George in many years. At the time he was writing, he was living in Millinocket, Maine in the US. Perhaps someone else may know of his later history.

For those that may be interested, the articles were combined and bound. I believe they may still be obtained from various sources including BritBooks (http://www.britbooks.com/j2compendium.html).

Cheers,

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Edited by - LewPalmer on 13/12/2008 19:07:38
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2008 :  11:05:06  Show Profile
The George Gerrard articles are quite informative with some useful data, measurements and research specification changes during production. I obtained a copy years ago when I was restoring our first car. I did however quickly realise that whilst there was quite a ot of helpful data, there were also many factual errors.

For anyone restoring a J2, it will prove an interesting read but should in my opinion be read in conjunction with other publications, for instance Graham Howell's Restorers Guide for the J2 which is far far more accurate in what it has to say but not as detailed in some areas as the Gerrard publication

Rich H
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
913 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  16:05:21  Show Profile
I heard several years ago that George was sadly no longer with us. He had a couple of T Types as well as his J2 (J2152) & was a real character. At the time he was restoring his J2, he would call (trans-atlantic), sometimes several times aweek & happily wait on the line whilst measurements were obtained from the garage! We forget how easy it is these days with e-mails & photos round the world in a couple of seconds.
He collected all his data from existing cars and recorded exactly as he found, so as others have said; the data comes with the caveat that the sources themselves had been subject to 40 years+ "sympathetic" maintenance & upkeep so were not 100% as original.

JH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000