Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 EPB 28 - The Man in the White Suit
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  17:49:26  Show Profile
I've just been watching the above film, and enjoying the sight of Joan Greenwood driving EPB 28, which appears mostly to be a P type. Curiously, there is at least one other MG being used by Joan Greenwood. At about 16 minutes into the film, we see Joan jump into EPB 28. A couple of scenes later there is an in-car shot of Joan driving a car with a windscreen with square corners and no hood pegs at these corners, but still with the luggage rack from the earlier scene.

The next shot is from alongside the driver looking forward as she drives towards Alec Guinness. The rounded windscreen frame and octagonal sidelights can be clearly seen, and possibly a Bonora radiator cap. At this stage the car appears to be uniformly a dark colour (as far as one can tell in a B&W film). Interestingly, when she goes to make an emergency stop in the next scene, she does so using the handbrake, clearly an experienced triple M driver, and we are back to the square windscreen.

Now, as the car front is shown skidding to a halt, it is a much lighter colour, and the reg EPB 28 can just be discerned. The offside bonnet side clearly has a supercharger bulge, the front valance looks rather crude, and the radiator looks like a PA. There appears to be an Altette horn under the nearside headlamp. The sidelights are not triple M to my knowledge, and are of a sort of streamlined type. The radiator cap can't be seen in this shot.

The next shot shows Bonora cap, octagonal sidelights, no bonnet bulge, and the colour seems darker. The dashboard of the following shot looks like a PB, with a speedometer and no roadspeed markings on the rev counter. As she drives away with Alec hanging on, I note that there is no rear light other than a central number plate one. In the next shot, clearly back projected, when Alec falls off, the rear wing appears to be darker than the bodywork. The next shot is back to the lighter coloured supercharged car and again she uses the handbrake for an emergency stop. This car appears to have at least one pork pie rear light. As she jumps out the car (with much greater alacrity than I could ever manage) it's interesting to note the lack of door strap allows the door to open too far, and as she closes it you can see the resulting dent in the door!

The car doesn't appear again until near the end, around 1:14. This time the number plate is most clearly seen, with above it a large central spotlight flanked by a trumpet horn offside and possibly a smaller spot nearside. It has a slatted radiator, the wings are clearly darker than the body, the sidelights look round, and the windscreen has rounded edges.

I know that all this sounds very sad for a Saturday afternoon, but I've got a bad cold and it's pissing down outside. This was showing today on BBC 2 Scotland, so if you want to waste an afternoon like me, check it out on BBC iPlayer. As you can tell, I recorded it so that I could study the MG scenes (I've seen it before, and saw some obvious continuity errors). Not quite so easy to go over scenes on iPlayer.

Anyway, does EPB 28 exist on the register? Do any of the other strange features sound familiar to anyone? Are there any MGs with a square windscreen and no pegs?

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  18:15:08  Show Profile
Hi Colin

I have looked at the 2012 printed Register and regret to say EPB 28 is not recorded.

George
L2023
Register no 994
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  18:22:58  Show Profile
This site can usually be relied upon to come up with some info and still pictures.
http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=44876

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  22:03:48  Show Profile
Sadly no record of this registration number in Mike Hawke's historical index.

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  01:42:24  Show Profile

Hello Colin,

I rented the movie a couple of years ago. A friend of mine tells me that they still use this movie in the tuition of economics.

These photos were "borrowed" by freeze framing and photographing with a digital camera. Considering that, they came out well, methinks.

The movie was released in 1951.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  07:13:35  Show Profile
Excellent pictures , Brian. It's a PB then but a non-standard front apron & is there a blower under the bulge on the bonnet side panel?.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  08:17:25  Show Profile
Thanks, Brian, your photos illustrate most of my points. Note, Ray, that the one with the blower bulge is not the one you see in the front radiator shot. No spotlights and no slatted radiator. The Blower car doesn't have the chrome elbow strip on the door, either.

Can anyone identify the windscreen in the last photo?

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  09:59:04  Show Profile
I see what you mean Colin. How odd!. It looks as though they have used two cars for these shots. Have you noticed the strange side-lights in the 'front wheel ' picture ?. Must say that the 'front radiator' picture does show more of the near-side of the car so the off-side bonnet panel is not in the picture.
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  10:13:27  Show Profile
pass me my anorak !
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  10:17:31  Show Profile
Square corners on the screen in the last shot. Maybe T Type
Is there a 2nd number plate on top of the original in the bonnet bulge picture
Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 15/05/2013 10:21:14
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  10:19:24  Show Profile
The 'blower' car does not have a 'P' type windscreen nor does the car in the last picture, both pictures appear to show the same windscreen. It looks to me if the original screen has been removed and been replaced with a taller one. If you look closely you can see the original 'P' windscreen supports.
Peter.

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  16:19:25  Show Profile
Yes, longer wiper arms too. Probably done to keep the top rail clear of her face for filming purposes...

P
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2013 :  09:25:33  Show Profile
Both Peters - agreed! David - well spotted. I guess that means the registration probably belongs to the unblown PB, and the plates were bolted on top of the blown car for continuity. What I don't understand is: as the daughter of a wealthy mill-owner, why isn't she driving the very latest TD!

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2013 :  16:40:51  Show Profile

Colin,

I've been trying to contact you regarding another matter, via this site.

Could you write me direct to kellmg@aol.com no underline as shown here. Thanks.

As regards your question posted above, perhaps the wealthy mill owner was from Yorkshire

Brian. ..............
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  09:27:28  Show Profile
quote:
As regards your question posted above, perhaps the wealthy mill owner was from Yorkshire

Nail on head!

I've emailed you offline, Brian.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  06:29:22  Show Profile
I noticed that the picture of the front wheel appears to show the valve in the centre of the rim, not off set.
My PB came with three wheels with the valve in the centre and two off set , which are the correct wheels for the car?

Regards
Keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000