Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 LAUDES AUGETE PRIORES
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  10:37:08  Show Profile
What is the origin of the saying "Laudes Augete Priores" ?
Thanks
Francesco

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2006 :  11:51:51  Show Profile
Someone once told me it was "composed" by Mike Allison but I have never got around to asking him. John
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2006 :  14:25:24  Show Profile
Thanks for your reply. I agree with Sam, I think its meaning is something as to praise or to commend ( laudes augete) the old or previous cars (priores) It would be interesting to know its origin, just as curiosity.
Ciao
Francesco
Go to Top of Page

Alex

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2006 :  15:17:39  Show Profile
Puts me in mind of Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series, where the Ankh-Morpork City Watch motto is 'Fabricate Diem, Punc' - which Terry Pratchett translates as 'To Protect And To Serve'...!
Go to Top of Page

Eric Taylor

France
157 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2006 :  18:41:47  Show Profile
I seem to remember reading something about it in one of the infoletters in the Sixties and I think the literal translation of it was 'Maintain the Breed'.
Go to Top of Page

RYates

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  03:38:58  Show Profile
I too have a friend who is a "Latin scholar" and a few years back asked him to translate. Knowing nothing about our cars, he thought the best/most literal translation was "(the)First to increase praise". Fairly close to the mark for our cars I thought.

Cheers,
Reed Yates
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  08:22:07  Show Profile
I am no Latin scholar, my only claim to distinction in that area being an abject fail at O-Level in 1962, but I suspect that the authors of the tag started in English and worked up a Latin equivalent. On that basis I'd guess that it all started with "Maintaining the Breed" - an established MG phrase.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  09:02:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

I suspect that the authors of the tag started in English and worked up a Latin equivalent. On that basis I'd guess that it all started with "Maintaining the Breed"

That is my recollection, too. It is explained in an early Yearbook or infoletter.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743

Go to Top of Page

Francesco

Italy
7 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2007 :  17:14:18  Show Profile
Finally I found it. In the 40 Years Triple M Register book there is the explanation, just in the contents page: Laudes -Augete - Priores (maintaining the breed. Thanks to all of You.
Francesco
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2007 :  22:49:43  Show Profile
That was my recollection. I had done the same searching some time back, but recently couldn't locate the source again. Having studied Latin in high school (about 700 years ago) I say now, as I thought then that that's a pretty wild and loose translation. A literal translation would have been more like "praising our ancestors (or those who came before)". But even that is stretching the use of Latin grammar.

Cheers,

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

PeterM

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2007 :  19:40:27  Show Profile
Gentlemen,

I recently received my MMM badge from George Eagle, and asked him for a translation of the motto. I then began playing with the dictionaries and had tentatively arrived at öBuild on the Glories of the Pastö, ôIncrease the Glories of the Pastö or ôAugment the Glories of the Pastö when he referred me to this discussion which I read with interest, and found my amateur attempt very close to PaulÆs Classics ProfessorÆs.

However, not to be too pedantic about it all, I guess you can believe it means whatever you want it to within reasonable limits. WhoÆs to argue? After all, LatinÆs been ôdeadö and not used as a language since medieval Europe. However, despite saying that, I agree with Lew that ôMaintaining the Breedö is pushing it just a wee bit, even though it fits our scenario well. (The MMM motto doesnÆt appear anywhere in John ThornleyÆs book of that title that I can see.)

As a afterthought, does anyone know how to pronounce it properly?

Peter A. Meyer, Australia (PA 0819; MMM1795).
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2007 :  23:16:39  Show Profile
Here is an attempt at how to pronounce it

"loud ays ow gate eh pre or ays"

John (O-level 1954)
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts