Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Kimber reading.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2012 :  21:25:10  Show Profile
For those devotees of all things Kimberesque.
I have "The Cecil Kimber Centenary Book."

What other writings, by himself or first hand, of the man exist?

Should not this be represented (archived) on this purely Kimber site?
Or are we just concerned with our machines?
These early days of MG (before Cecil's sacking) were full of so many changes in the motor industry.

I would love to see a timechart that mapped Kimber's influences, marketplace development (internationally). Iconic cars produced, mergers, collapses... Say 1920 - 1939.

Edited by - spitfire on 23/12/2012 00:06:26

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2012 :  23:05:08  Show Profile
Great idea - certainly of great interest to the enthusiasts around the world. What everyone "knows" in the UK, once took years to travel around the world.

I had collected 25+ "MG books" before I found any details on how Kimber met his fate.

Seasons Greetings from Australia

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  08:52:36  Show Profile
This is the link to the rail accident report (a PDF embedded on the page). Interesting reading.

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=838

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  09:26:56  Show Profile
Thanks Gary,

This is an interesting suggestion.

I haven't researched the lexicography of CK and his life and influences, but there may well be a book in this. I have put out some feelers and will keep the Forum posted.

Merry Christmas!

Dick Morbey
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  09:28:47  Show Profile
How many MG cars have been (and are still being) sold.
Shame there is not a plaque at the end of the platform at Kings Cross to identify where the tragic end of the creator of MG Cars occured. Would be nice to have a subtle brass MG OCTAGON mounted somewhere. Engraved Cecil Kimber 1888-1945.Admittedly, not much of an advert for rail travel - but you'd have bought your ticket by then.

I have just read the accident report.
Intriguing.
Would Cecil have wandered up to the engine, a streamlined Gresley A4 and bathed in its beautiful, purposeful ambience?He may well have talked to the driver on how it performed.
How sad an end. First robbed of his "babies" at Abingdon and then a barely traceable statistic in a closed book, filed away.

When I see Foz spanking the guts out of his Rat, and the heady waft as they scream by. Thats Kimber on the breeze for me. I don't need a club to communicate with The Man.

Edited by - spitfire on 24/12/2012 17:04:51
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  11:58:34  Show Profile
Just to remind everyone that there is a Blue Plaque on the house in Heaton Moor ,Stockport where Kimber lived as a boy & from where he attended Stockport Grammer School. Should anybody wish to see the plaque I am only too willing to direct them to it.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  12:25:49  Show Profile
There are seven pages devoted to Kim's personal history in "The M.G. Companion" by Kenneth Ulyett and a lot more in "The M.G. Log" by Peter Haining. One Chapter of the latter book of seventeen pages was written by Jean Cook - and being Kim's youngest daughter, she should know the facts. Then another Chapter entitled "The Lure cf Speed" was written by the man himself.

Go to it chaps.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  04:57:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Masters

Just to remind everyone that there is a Blue Plaque on the house in Heaton Moor ,Stockport where Kimber lived as a boy & from where he attended Stockport Grammer School. Should anybody wish to see the plaque I am only too willing to direct them to it.

To protect the "innocent" certain names have been withheld.

Therefore, Ray Masters is to the left in the photograph.

Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  06:39:58  Show Profile
That's lovely. Just to see Cecil's name displayed on a public sign.
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  11:54:00  Show Profile
I am sure many are familiar with the plaque on the Boundry House that the NEMGTR placed there in 1990. I am very proud of that.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  11:56:49  Show Profile
Indeed! You can read more about this at http://www.team.net/mharc/archives/html/mgs/1996-01/msg00786.html

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000