Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG/PA 0393 and W.J.Cope
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lordrob

Belgium
225 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2015 :  09:58:48  Show Profile
Having owned PA/0393 (English reg no AKR941) since the early 1980's I have tried many times to aquire anymore info on it's first owner W.J.(Billy)Cope who seems to have been quite an active competitor in the thirties, he was a motor dealer from Bromley in Kent.
He owned a J2 (J2476-reg no YY3429) from June 1933 and then bought PA0393 (my car) in February 1934. At about the same time he owned PA1465 (BKN18) and then by 18/04/35 he bought C0281.
All this info I aquired mostly through Colin Butchers over the years.(you all well known I presume)
It seems to be quite difficult to find any photographs of Mr.Cope at work or even of any of the above mentioned cars in Mr.Cope's ownership,I anyway haven't seen any so far, so any info would be more then welcome and appreciated !
Merry Christmas and Prosperous New-year to you all,
Roby Cruyswegs (Belgium)

lordrob

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2015 :  17:46:47  Show Profile
Hi Rob,

Nothing on your P-type, I'm afraid, and what I do know of Billy Cope is only very little too:

He not only owned C0281 from/in 1935, he also owned C0274 in 1933. Mike Hawke allocated Cope's trialling and grass track racing exploits to J2476, but this picture of the S&DMC grass track race meeting at Layham's Farm in August 1933 shows differently.

I find it hard to believe that there are no more pictures available of the many Triple-M cars Cope owned during his day. This is the only picture I have ever managed to find of his two C-types during his ownership. Neither car is known to exist today.

According to the Club News section in the June 1948 issue of Motorsport, one W.J. Cope is the club secretary for the New Zealand SCC. http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/june-1948/33/club-news

And then there's this little snippet: http://www.triple-mregister.org/uploads/retro/scan28.pdf

Cheers,
Cat

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2015 :  12:08:12  Show Profile
Cat, There is a nice photo of Billy Cope competing with his J2 at Crystal Palace in a Speedway Meeting. It is on Page 516 of The M G Magazine for 1934. Sorry, I don't know the month. If you cannot find it let me know, and I will scan the page for you.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

lordrob

Belgium
225 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2015 :  16:21:15  Show Profile
Hi Cat,
Thank you very, very much for your investigation on this matter, this result has been the most interesting that has turned up over the years besides the info which Colin has unearthed !
I to find it hard to believe that there would be no more pictures available of the many Triple-M cars which W.J. Cope owned during his day, I'd love to see a picture of the man himself or of the cars he'd once campaigned !
Cheers,
Roby

lordrob
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  10:06:11  Show Profile
Now that we know that Billy Cope's last known address was at 16 Grafton Road, Roseneath, Wellington, New Zealand, I wonder whether one of our NZ Members could try and follow up this lead. I think it is likely that Billy himself has passed on but possibly a family member might be sitting on a file of photographs and wondering what to do with them.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

mgmike

New Zealand
39 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  22:19:50  Show Profile
Hi Colin, I will have a look around and see if I can find anything here in NZ. Do you know how long ago he was recorded at this address?
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2015 :  07:13:19  Show Profile
1948, Mike ... Would be brilliant if we could find anyone related to him!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000