Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Dashboard Grab Handle
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  23:18:41  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me the origins of the MMM dashboard grab handle, who the maker was and whether it was after market only or fitted in the factory to some cars or as an option?

I made one off photographs a few years ago then found an original on eBay for a pattern. Once found a repro at Moss UK looked right then when it turned up was TA version. Original looks similar casting to the door handles chrome plated pot metal.
First one I made investment cast in stainless using a 2 part rubber mould.
In the process of making again, to get right I think will need to be a 3 part resin mould investment casting with the badge part a reverse insert.
Proves to get right, need an original as a pattern. There are irregularities on the original which I will copy as well, and using a tracing for the badge.
Like to know if there are already some good repros out there, or otherwise if anyone is interested in mine could get myself motivated and make a couple of extras off the new moulds.
Donald PB0759

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  08:43:12  Show Profile
Like you Donald, I have what I think is a T Type version with my car and have wondered about fitting a better version if possible. I hadn't ever got around to looking for one but would certainly be interested in one from you should you make a few spares. I must confess not knowing much of the detail of them but I think the T Type one is smaller. Do your researches bear that out?

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  10:06:18  Show Profile
Hi Donald

The late Terry Andrews made some Grab Handles for MMM cars, he argued that the T Type handles were too long and subsequently made some for our cars.

Where he started from I do not know presumably he had an original from somewhere.

Photos show handle trial fitted before chroming.

If you want more detail I will be glad to add either on Forum or Off.

Happy New Year to all

Russ
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  10:51:13  Show Profile
Thanks Russ
I remember watching progress on your car with interest when you were posting to the web. Appreciated the attention to detail with your work.
Yes, the handle is shorter in length and very slightly taller in height. Yours looks correct and a fine reproduction indeed.
Following photo shows the original, a T-Type handle from S&V, and my pattern (slightly larger to allow for shrinkage) for comparison.
Possibly a small batch is in order, although realizing that the holes of a T-Type unit will be left exposed, may be filled, for me I plan to co-ordinate timing with a new burr walnut dashboard (at last).
Interested to see latest on your restoration too if you can point me in the right direction or post a photo or two.
Regards Donald

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000