Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 David Venables
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2016 :  16:57:38  Show Profile
On another subject on the forum I refer to my late good friend, neighbour and mentor David Venables who passed away , just over a year ago on the 3rd October 2014, after a short illness, he was 81.

We first met around 1990, we used to take the same 7am commuter train from Preston Park, Brighton to London. David was the Official Solicitor to the Supreme Court and a extremely nice fellow. Although neighbours, we had not crossed paths before then. His knowledge of classic sports cars and racing was exceptional and very soon we were exchanging days in each others workshops, becoming firm friends. David taught me so much, he would be proof reading the ' Automobile ' magazine before publication whilst attending to his 1930s Alfa Romeo or 1935 Aston Martin and talking to me, all at the same time. A true committed historian with the mind of a diamond.

He also has a spot in part one of ' The Petrol Age ' hosted by Paul McGann that is currently being shown on TV.

David was well known at Goodwood, he was a contestant at the Brighton Speed Trials for many runs, and of course as the author of the ' British Racing Green ' series of books and many others.

David was excited at my J2 finds and hoped to spend time on the projects, but sadly not to be.

This is in respect for David and those of you who may not of known him or his work.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2016 :  20:28:55  Show Profile
Did David mention that he owned an L Type at one time ? I went to see it - in about 1970 I think

Colin B
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000