Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2 dipstick
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2016 :  12:36:34  Show Profile
Having had success with my request for the MG button on the instrument cluster, the very last part I need for the engine is a dipstick. If anyone has one under the bench they'd be prepared to part with. I'd much rather have an original if at all possible..

thanks in advance...

So many dynamos

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
365 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2016 :  17:23:07  Show Profile
I think I have one of those going spare. It came with my J2 , but just in case it is not the right thing I will show it to Barry Foster tomorrow for an opinion. I am sure it is original - I just hope you are not a 'Concours' man ! If , in the meantime , you are offered one which is 100% correct - go for it .
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2016 :  18:15:10  Show Profile
Fred, definitely not a concours man The test it actually has to pass is a)does it fit down the 'ole and b)does it tell me reasonably accurately how much oil is in the sump!

Let me know Foz's judgement...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
365 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2016 :  11:55:43  Show Profile
I have let you down - your search continues. Fozzy spurned my dipstick - it is too short. My apologies .
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6148 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2016 :  14:27:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fred Boothby

Fozzy spurned my dipstick - it is too short.

There's really no answer to that, Fred. Foz must be feeling better

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2016 :  15:52:52  Show Profile
Something to do with the cold weather, no doubt...

Thanks anyway, Fred

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2016 :  11:29:28  Show Profile
Hugh, I wouldn't waste too much time on the problem. Just select your favourite dip-stick. Make sure the sump is totally empty. Put your dip-stick in the hole (if I may use the expression). Bung in a gallon of 20/50 and see where it comes up to on the dip-stick. Mark the dip-stick with a file cut or some other form of permanent marker. Job done.

I assuming of course that your favourite dip-stick is long enough to actually dangle in the oil.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2016 :  21:21:12  Show Profile
Following on from Colins suggestion,grind a flat on one side of the rod,then mark it,easier to see level of oil.
Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3109 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2016 :  10:09:54  Show Profile

Anyone having trouble with 'zinc pest' on an otherwise perfectly good original dipstick?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 27/01/2016 10:11:13
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2016 :  14:31:43  Show Profile
Cast another top on in white metal - not the bearing kind, I refer to the sort you can buy from model shops. A plaster mould will do, just make sure you dry it out completely.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2016 :  20:16:49  Show Profile
I solved this problem by making a new top from a small piece of aluminium bar in the lathe and drilling for a press fit on the dipstick - or with a drop of superglue or similar for extra security!
Graham R.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2016 :  23:08:26  Show Profile
and that is exactly the path I am following. A new top has been turned out of ali and I'm off to buy a piece of stainless rod tomorrow of the appropriate diameter to make the 'stick'

thanks for all the contributions...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000