Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG's 4th Racing year
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2016 :  20:55:37  Show Profile
This week’s MGCC website feature about the amazing feats of MG racing in 1933 appeared in Safety Fast! April 1961, and was written by William Boddy. Yes - the great WB of Motor Sport magazine

A dramatic twelve months that made MG history — including a team win in the Mille Miglia and outright victory in the Ulster T.T.

Follow the link http://www.mgcc.co.uk/articles/mgs-4th-racing-year/

George

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2016 :  15:29:01  Show Profile
The final paragraph of that excellent article by WB is in complete contrast , in my opinion, with how he usually treated, with disdain, MG cars from that period. He was not the only one who thought that way either. It has taken until fairly recently to get them generally accepted as worthy cars to compete against the more renowned makes of the vintage/post-vintage era.
A great article nevertheless.
Go to Top of Page

mglesum

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2016 :  11:06:00  Show Profile
In the article http://www.mgcc.co.uk/articles/mgs-4th-racing-year/ is below photo two written
E. R. Hall, in his long-tailed 1(3 Magnette, wins ...
What is a 1(3 Magnette?
KlauS.
Go to Top of Page

bob

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2016 :  11:24:29  Show Profile
Great photos on the MG Car Club website.Does anyone know of any similar colour pictures/prints/paintings that are available free on the internet that one can print off for personal use?
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2016 :  11:44:34  Show Profile
Klaus, This is what is usually described these days as "a computer error" but in fact is simply that someone's finger hit the wrong key ! It should of course read K3 Magnette.

Ray, I agree about WB. The answer is of course, that in his "M.G.s 4th Racing Year" article he was being paid to write it by the MGCC. Bill Boddy was of course an extremely knowledgeable man but very shy, and this shyness often came over as superiority, which I think was not really intentional. However he was one of the founder members of the VSCC and as such would have been part of the view that "no worthwhile cars were built after the 31st December 1930". This was especially aimed at tin cars and buzz-boxes, which would have included most MMM cars. Illogically, this did not seem to apply to Austins which probably contained a bit more tin that M.G.s and certainly buzzed just as much.

Despite my defence of him, there is no doubt that occasionally he committed the most awful howlers when writing about M.G.s, and probably the worst in my opinion was when he was describing F G Lomax's J3 which had had independent front suspension cobbled on at one stage, and he referred to the car as "a converted R Type". It would not have needed more than twenty seconds of examination to realise that that was total rubbish. Possibly his shyness prevented him from actually asking the owner what the car was !

But there you go.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2016 :  13:11:59  Show Profile
Not long after the Pendine Dash in 1992..... doesn't seem that long ago! when at the Weston S. Mare sprint (now defunct) W.B. came and had complimentary things to say about MG past and present but particularly about 'OUR' type of MG and using them as intended by MG CAR Co. I think it gave him things to write about the cars of his youth......like the rest of you my age seems to be getting closer to that of the Rat.....
FOZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000