Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Whereabouts of the Pristine PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  12:19:01  Show Profile
I like the rusty connecting ring on the vertical drive.Left unpainted.
Is this a statement ''my vertical drive does not leak!''
Go to Top of Page

rodamos

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  22:47:45  Show Profile
I suspect the speedo is not a factory fitment as it has a pre-1928 circular Jaeger logo.
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  23:06:46  Show Profile
Thanks everyone, a wonderful car.

Would't worry about the green engine colour, it looks as though has been repainted probably by hand while still in the car, most of the peripheral bits have also been painted and there are remnants of green all over the place including on the frost plugs.

There are also some original spec engine parts rarely seen or surviving on our cars. The top fuel hose, and the water manifold, HERAL for example.

My conclusion is that the cars do take on the preferences and needs of their owners over time no matter how original, and that's alright. These things bring out the character of the car.

Donald McLeod
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2016 :  09:36:09  Show Profile
My 2 seater PA had a green engine when I acquired it in 1989 from the family that had owned since 1937. It had 4000 miles on the clock when they bought it. They assured me that the engine had never been out or repainted, and it seems highly unlikely that it had been repainted during the first three years.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2016 :  10:33:04  Show Profile
Hi all
When the search function is back on duty you will find threads on engine colour. The gist of it all is that the myth on different colours for two and fourseaters is not true. If you think of the asembly the engines arrived presumably painted from Wolseley and were assigned to a chassis in Abingdon.

So don't worry about colours on Engines.

Regards Sven
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2016 :  13:34:17  Show Profile
Sven and others

I have done some further reading and it would seem engine colour was almost a matter of pot luck with red being the most common, I won't feel guilty if I decide to paint PA1733 sky blue pink but will probably do red.
There has been a lot of discussion over the years and I would suggest that the "Paints Colour" download in technical download section should be altered as I am afraid I took that as gospel

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2016 :  15:53:52  Show Profile
Richard
I am in total agreement on the Paints document in the download section. Older dokuments represent what was then the up to date thinking of one or more people.
I think there is a strong argument for having a discussion on the forum and then agreement on such things as original clolour schemes. It would also be beneficial to have such documents dated and to show the process by which they were agreed on.

All the best
Sven
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2016 :  19:31:55  Show Profile
A few years ago, I did a survey of engine colors, as I had seen way to many quite original engines painted green rather than red. Of those people who responded citing the color of the lowest level paint on their engine (regardless of the current color), a good 40% stated their engine was originally green. The rest were red, except for a few quoting a light blue. My conclusion was that either red or green was acceptable. This contradicted a commonly held belief that green was used on 4 seater engines. I took exception to that belief as I could not believe that there was any difference between the engine of a 4 seater versus a 2 seater and would be difficult to make that decision well prior to mounting a body.
The common belief was that blue was used on only "racing" engines, however, it is my belief that blue was used on "bespoke" engines - those which were specially ordered with some non-production feature, such as non-standard bore, or other special features. In this way, a blue engine would not be confused with a standard production engine.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2016 :  20:26:38  Show Profile
Thanks, most interesting background on engine colour.
For my PB I could not find any traces of the original engine colour.
Read somewhere that the peripherals - starter and dynamo were black.
Left the engine same colour as when my father bought it back in 1964.
Fire engine red head and breather, silver/grey block, black dynamo and starter.
Looks rather good I reckon.
Donald
PB0759

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000