Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Inexpensive RAF Uniforms
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DanPA

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  21:57:26  Show Profile
I noticed that an on-line military surplus company in the USA is selling an inexpensive passable copy of the early WWII RAF uniform. It is being sold as a wool Italian Air Force uniform for $30 in Large, XL abd 2XL. You can also get dark blue wool French 'overseas' (barracks) caps at 6 for $15.

The company is at sportsmansguide.com. I have no financial interest. European uniiform clothing tends to run a bit small compared to USA sizes. The stuff they sell isn't always what it advertised to be. They are good about returns.

Might be useful for Goodwood or other use with our pre-war cars. Wool is almost always too hot for California.

Cheers,
Dan

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  04:28:43  Show Profile
Not Bad, I have my fathers original No.1 uniform and his flying outfit which I wear at Goodwood, have been shortlisted to the Menfile Magazine competition three times.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  16:53:06  Show Profile
Heaven forbid ! This is what spoils the Revival. I.M.H.O.
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  17:02:23  Show Profile
Agreed graham !
Go to Top of Page

wiggy963

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  18:25:31  Show Profile
That uniform looks to me to be more suitable for a security guard at a ***** store.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  23:11:43  Show Profile

One can carry originality too far......

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  09:22:29  Show Profile
Nothing wrong with plus fours! I don't have a photo, but I think Cat has one of me in my plus fours at Pre-war Prescott. Cat's team was turned out brilliantly that weekend.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  11:12:15  Show Profile

The true enthusiast should dress like either of the two male models above and complete the effect with a period hair style secured with half a jar of Brylcreem -

Deeply disturbing perhaps, but authentic.

It is depressing but I could look like Captain George Eyston almost any day of the week by simply putting on a tie.

I cannot quite bring myself to reproduce the original finish on the Captain's Midget.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 12/03/2016 11:15:51
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  17:52:07  Show Profile
Good Grief ! Why would anyone pay good money to flounce around in RAF kit , when there is Army or Naval uniform to be had ? And I agree with Graham Holdsworth that all this fancy dress idea is ruining Goodwood; last time I raced at the Revival I am sure I saw Marie Antoinette in the assembly area .
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  18:05:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fred Boothby

last time I raced at the Revival I am sure I saw Marie Antoinette in the assembly area .

Didn't she race a K3?

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  18:55:51  Show Profile
Ohhhh Fred, you ve blown the surprise...I had had the Antoinette costume nearly sorted!!!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2016 :  17:50:46  Show Profile
Went to the Midhurst Autojumble today and there were quite a number of genuine RAF uniform suits on sale for £15 - for both jackets and trousers - some complete with NCOs stripes. Very tempted to join the "Revival poseurs" but couldn't find a suit to fit !

Reminds me of a story which used to be told by the late, great Ronnie Scott in reference to how his family were so poor that they used to get their clothes from the army surplus shops. He said that there was not much fun being a 12 year old Jewish lad, dressed in the uniform of a Japanese Admiral !

Coiin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 13/03/2016 17:56:45
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2016 :  19:12:58  Show Profile
I thought that Goodwood racing circuit was from C1947 - 1966 so that " period" dress should be from that era. When I first went in the early noughties my daughter said "but dad you still dress as you did in the sixties" So no fancy dress for me. RAF uniforms are totally inappropriate and the same goes for "dad's army" lookalikes or any of the dress in the above pictures.
Rant over.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 13/03/2016 19:16:52
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2016 :  07:51:27  Show Profile
I always thought the WWII & aviation themes were about celebrating the Site as an RAF Airfield. Not the racing era?

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Edited by - Dolts on 14/03/2016 07:52:00
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2016 :  17:53:24  Show Profile
Wrong, Mark ! There's nothing in the dress regulations for the revival that mention celebrating the site as a WW11 airfield . To quote "..asked to dress appropriate to the theme of the weekend ( 1948-1966). "...All gentlemen in the Paddock... must wear jacket and tie , and ladies are asked to dress sympathetically " No mention of uniform. So out, please , with the wearers of uniform ( and medals) to which they are not entitled. I first attended Goodwood in 1955 , 10 years after the Great Unpleasantness , and there wasn't a uniform in sight , only ex-WD overalls .
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2016 :  18:17:20  Show Profile
"All gentleman in the paddock must wear a jacket and tie" . Not any more Fred , the last few years in the paddock any dress code seems to pass even T shirt and shorts, just as long as you've paid your Goodwood membership and they've got the money anything seems to go. Though many still do follow the regs of the first revival meeting , with jacket and tie.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000