Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 for Sale
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  12:40:15  Show Profile
I have been advised of the sale at auction of a J2. This car is listed on the Register as J3403.

Here is the link to the sale:
http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Lots/320960.aspx

This link provides details on how to buy:
http://www.tennants.co.uk/Our-Services/Buying-Selling/How-to-Buy.aspx

Usual disclaimers!
Nick

Webmaster

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  16:45:01  Show Profile
I'm surprised nobody has commented on this car. It looks to me to be quite an original example in at least oily rag condition,if not better,and would not appear to need a lot of work to get it back on the road with the potential for continued improvement. The colour is a bit unfortunate,being rather army surplus,and the original black/red would have been nicer. Nor am I keen on the 19in spare mated to the remaining 18in wheels!

I don't recall Tennants previously holding a car sale and some of the descriptions in their lots perhaps show this. The estimate for this car would make it a very good buy if it were not exceeded.

A friend of mine intends bidding for the more expensive of the TDs,which does seem to be realistically estimated.

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  22:30:21  Show Profile
The estimate is to low.
A trick to lure more bidders?

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  22:31:58  Show Profile
No, auction houses never do that sort of thing do they?? -)))
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  22:35:20  Show Profile
;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  23:31:17  Show Profile
Engine is seized, don't believe the description that it has been turned over regularly over recent years and Tennants' were aware that it's locked up solid before the description went out, I reported this too them and they observed with the rocker cover removed.

Brush painted body, not the best repanelling re detail to include the body irons fitted to the outer side of the rear wheel arches etc, rotten exhaust and water jacket plate, leaking tank, bent wire crank, 18 inch rear wheels which appear loose on the splines, chopped and widened windscreen etc. Fairly solid also though. I have seen the car when purchasing antique furniture a couple of weeks ago.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 30/03/2016 23:44:29
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  09:37:23  Show Profile
Richard has explained it all! Is the absence of dashboard,other interior photos and rear and offside views also significant,I wonder? Perhaps the paint is actually ex-WD.

I must advise my friend bidding for the TD to have a really good look at it first ...

I also notice that Mathewsons of Thornton Dale,not very far away,are having one of their regular sales the same day.Not very good timing from Tennants as Mathewsons have been in the car business very many years.

David R
J 3355
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  09:49:04  Show Profile
Despite saying a register number it appears to gone from the listings as well. ??
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  11:01:31  Show Profile
That seems to be the case Oliver.
Everything adds up to the car being J3403, so I will deal with this tomorrow.
(JohnE, the new J2 sub-registrar elf)
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  19:57:50  Show Profile
"A trick to lure more bidders?"

Is the upper guide price possibly too high at £10,000 considering the likely cost of restoration?

If the guide price is wrong, would anyone care to suggest a more realistic price ?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 31/03/2016 20:04:54
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  20:51:56  Show Profile
The problem Sam is, people get carried away at these auctions and when they purchase bundles of 'bits', not looking at the total value of the parts they then have the problem of the restoration cost V. market value.

You also see restored J2s being offered for sale at £40 odd K plus but do people pay such prices. Who knows but I suspect not the savvy enthusiast.

This car did my the way had instruments and trim (beige). The nearside appearance is representational of the offside. The car is not bad but not quite as described.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 31/03/2016 20:55:37
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  21:30:59  Show Profile
When most projects/collections of parts go for more than or around 10K a car in one piece (drivable or undrivable) should be worth more right?
At least with this one you can easily find out what parts are missing

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  21:46:51  Show Profile
I agree bidders can be very silly but I don't think we can blame auctioneers.

The buyer who thinks the car is 'a steal' at £10,000 may think differently when he looks at the true cost of the rebuild this car deserves.

If the auction house has the guide price wrong what is a realistic price?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  07:38:53  Show Profile
Why rebuild - just get it running & enjoy. John, I have some info I will dig out & send to you.

JH
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  10:08:34  Show Profile
It is the "no reserve" that gets the bidders excited! An auctioneer's dream. This estimate looks like a good opening bid. -Rich
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  10:27:12  Show Profile
The auctioneers have objected to some of the comments that have appeared on this thread and have provided a brief video showing the engine being turned over on the handle.

It's viewable at https://youtu.be/i6WeNjdeiwQ or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6WeNjdeiwQ&feature=youtu.be

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page