Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA 1024
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2016 :  23:33:20  Show Profile
Hello I'm New here to the forum, so here goes...
I recently purchased PA 1024.
An old letter with the car from Barry Walker The Pre Was MG Parts Centre, notes he was " very interested to hear that the former owner of the car had bought it from Charlie Paradise, and was " the one he used to keep high up on his shelf in the shop" "

The car has sat for at least 25 years with out being run. Stored indoors in California and Texas. The engine won't turn over by hand crank. The Generator was sitting in place and I have discovered was just set in place loose. The Spark plugs were all finger tight and easily removed.
The exhaust manifold is loose the water inlet manifold is loose.
Anyway after three cans of Sea Foam Penetrating oil this after noon engine is still solid and wont budge.
Any suggestions

Best,
Sullivan

Brian W Sullivan

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2016 :  10:36:51  Show Profile
Hello Brian. Don't force it. Plenty of penetratiing oil down the plug holes every day for a week. and then try again. It should come free eventually.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2016 :  11:03:28  Show Profile
Hello Brian

First of all welcome to the Triple-M Forum which you will find is the source of much knowledge on our ohc cars.

We have a Yearbook and a bi-monthly Bulletin - the subscription form can be downloaded from the Documents section of this web site. I can also supply a metal car badge engraved with the Triple-M Register number, the Register number is allocated to a car by our Registrar and you may find PA1024 has a Register number.

Well done on purchasing PA1024. The car is not listed in the current printed Register but I expect Dick Morbey, sub-Registrar for the PAs, will have some information. His contact details are on this web site.

You can also apply to the MG Car Club, Abingdon, for a copy of the factory file on the car. There is a small fee. Some factory files have not survived but hopefully the one for your car has!

Regards

George Eagle
Hon Sec

Edited by - George Eagle on 18/04/2016 11:06:52
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2016 :  17:29:28  Show Profile
Colin,
Thank you for the encouragement. I will continue to "feed" Penetrating oil daily to the pug holes.

Hopefully on the seventh day it will rest!

I too was concerned about forcing and will not do so.

George,
I have been in contact with Dick Morbey since the purchase and he has now listed the car in the registry.

From the letter written back in 1982 I got the impression that Barry Walker knew this car from a MG shop here in the States, someone named Charlie Paradise ?
Does anyone recognize the shop ?

Best,

Brain

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2016 :  23:22:35  Show Profile
Coca cola instead of penetrating oil.

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2016 :  08:11:42  Show Profile
or white vinegar.

Less calories

Edited by - rustcollector on 19/04/2016 08:12:19
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2016 :  08:51:09  Show Profile
Or parafin... I think I prefer oil based stuff for this, though we do not know what is in Coke of course...

And heat... a change of temperature, not too extreme of course, can help...
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
380 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2016 :  09:27:13  Show Profile
or diesel.....

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2016 :  11:03:07  Show Profile
KTS idea of using coke is the ability to dissolve rust ( as does white vinegar ).

assuming rusted stuck rings.
Go to Top of Page

DanPA

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2016 :  15:45:21  Show Profile
Message from Allan Chalmers of the Abingdon Roigh Riders Club (TCs and earlier) based in the San Francisco Bay Area.

"Hi guys , yes Charlie was a member for years. He died a couple years ago. I remember the (PA) car stuffed away. Charlie was an interesting character. He was called MG Charlie and did resto and mechanical work in SF. Charlie sometimes practiced the Ponzi method; using parts from one car to finish another. Bill Kendall sued him for doing that. Way long ago stuff.

"I'm in Sicily right now, but I can look for other info when I get home in two weeks."

Daniel Shockey
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2016 :  18:32:43  Show Profile

Charlie Paradise. I always considered the name was worthy of a novel,
such as Don Stanford's The Red Car and the character Frenchy Lascelle.

I had the good fortune to meet him in 1987 and he suited his name.
His workshop was located opposite one of the piers down by Fisherman's Wharf. I'd purchased PA 0512 sight unseen except for photos over the phone from Norman Peterson in San Francisco. The car was stripped down
and stored in Charlie's workshop. I'd hired a U-Haul truck and driven up from Southern California.

Dan, good to hear of you!

"Sullivan", Congrats on PA 1024.

Photo of Charlie wearing the hat, Norman on the right.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2016 :  17:35:07  Show Profile
Hello All,

Thank you for the insights into Diesel, Paraffin, Coke & Vinegar.
I am grateful as well to hear of Charlie Paradise and his shop in SF.
The letter I have from Barry Walker is dated 1982 so the car had presumably been "on the high shelf" for some time before that.
Putting vinegar into the plug holes now.

Best,

Brian
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2016 :  18:40:54  Show Profile
Brian,
Just a note that what the British call Paraffin, we in the US call Kerosene. So don't go melting candle wax into the cylinders. <grin>

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2016 :  21:53:43  Show Profile
Lew,

Yes, that threw me for a loop.
I imagined getting a bar of Paraffin from the grocery store and melting that. It didn't seem very plausible.
Thank you for the enlightening.

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2016 :  17:25:32  Show Profile
Two great nations separated by a common language ! I look forward to the U.K. becoming even greater (well, free to make our own decisions) after June 23rd.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2016 :  20:22:48  Show Profile
The car now smells of vinegar. 1/2 gallon now put into the plug holes so far.

When I contacted one of our supplier's with pictures of the car he had written about in the past I sent a picture of the rear of the vehicle.
With this long shot photo he replied that I needed new cross tube ends replaced on my car. I don't seem to be able to post additional photo's here now but would like some feed back from those of you who can asses the tubes.

I remember back in 1985 on my first trip to England we were having Gammon Steak for dinner. I had no idea what that was?
Latter was informed that this was what we here in the US call Ham.

(Three Cheers for Freedom!)

Best

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000