Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 W Munford Ltd. / Abbey Garage
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  10:51:14  Show Profile
Gone but not forgotten.
The PA that I'm restoring was supplied by W Munford Ltd. / Abbey Garage then situated in St. Andrews Street, which was one of the oldest street in the central business area of Plymouth. The first photograph taken in 1949 shows W Mumford ltd. two doors up from the Merchant's house built in the 1500's. The Merchant's house (Supercabs Taxis) is now a museum.

The new Abbey garage was built further up the street opposite to the Abbey Church & W Mumford ltd. traded from there, from 1934. On the night 20/21 April 1941, The Abbey Church & Abbey Garage received hits during the bombing. The Church being completely burnt out.

In this photograph, the two men are standing outside the Church Railings & also the Merchants house can be seen further down the hill.
After the WW2, The Abbey Church and Abbey Garage were both rebuilt. W Mumford Ltd. traded from Abbey Garage until 1959 until acquired for further Central Business Area redevelopment. The New Magistrate's Court complex now occupies the site down to the Merchants House and also taking up the area of St. Andrews Street dividing the street into two.

Two questions.
1/. Did W Mumford Ltd. have &/or issued a Dealer's Supplied by Dashboard plaque?
2/. Does anyone have such a plaque, or can supply a Photograph of one?

Colin

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  15:37:52  Show Profile
Mumford were certainly a large motor dealer group in the South West when I lived in Truro in the early 1970s - I recall they were mainly Ford agents.

I think the group has been taken over?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000