Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Petrolift parts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2016 :  21:07:51  Show Profile
Peter Frost and I are trying to resurrect the standing of the Petrolift against the electric SU fuel pumps. In an effort to do so we ask if there any parts you can give up to help us restore as many as we can? I will pay the p&p within the UK for sure.

It appears there are a number of weak points in their design so many have broken parts but hopefully some of those smaller pieces are out there that we need to make whole ones. Filters, points, magnets, washers, clips, tubes, plungers and valves etc

Much appreciated in advance. Please note this exercise is to learn and understand how best to service and or repair these 80 year old beauties; and then document it. After that we will see ...

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2016 :  21:59:24  Show Profile
Are you off your rockers?

They would have been ok for D Types!!!!

I have a few bits and will look them out,

Good luck...

P
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2016 :  22:10:41  Show Profile
Chris,
Many of the small Petrolift parts are common to the later SU pumps. For example. the valve discs and clips that hold the disks into the tubular valves are the same. Points are adaptable from the single contact points of the early SU pump. The tube and filter can be easily made. And, provided you use the correct material, the plungers can be made prom plain steel tube. Washers are standard BSP fiber washers. You're on your own on the magnets.
I have seen Petrolift repair kits, but that was a LONG time ago.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3107 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2016 :  22:18:08  Show Profile
They seemed very confident about the Petrolift at the time.....

Sam
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2016 :  22:55:59  Show Profile
never afraid to take on a challenge Peter!

we would appreciate any bits, info or tips ta

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2016 :  03:12:07  Show Profile
They were fairly reliable in their day, perhaps. But today there are several points which have suffered the ravages of time and use: 1) the center core can wear from constant motion of the plungers, 2) the Mazak parks can deteriorate and crack, 3) the magnets lose magnetism, 4) the points get dirty and burned with use, 5) the floats deteriorate with age and may not ride at the same level in the petrol with the specific gravity of today's fuels. Just to name a few. However, I have been successful restoring several Petrolifts which are in active use.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2016 :  08:46:24  Show Profile
Peter, as Lew has said, there is no reason to why these units can work for a life-time. Surely the label attached to this Petrolift shows that we could in fact get a replacement if it was only 12 months from purchase !!!

... after all this is what it says on the label ...'this replacement unit is guaranteed for a period of 12 months from date of commission subject to fair usage' ... just at the moment I can't find there phone number or email address!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000