Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Lineage of the L1 Continental Coupe
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  11:32:57  Show Profile
This is the first 1933 Sunbeam Speed 20 I have seen, saw it today on a visit to a local vintage steam engine run.
Thought is was an MG from a distance, then noticed the tidy rear along the lines of the L1 Continental Coupe.
Wondering if there might be some tie up in the designs or lineage if anyone knows?
I think if MG had got closer to this in the day, would have sold plenty!
Donald McLeod
PB0759
New Zealand

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  12:47:00  Show Profile
Hello Donald,

The model of the MG Continental Coupe is indeed similar to this car. But have a look in the Bugatti models, the MG Continental Coupe could be a (very close) copy of one of the Bugatties. I am restoring a MG Continental Coupe so I went to France to the Schlumpf collection to see the Bugatti.
So most probably the price of the MG L Continental Coupe killed the sales, 350 GBP compared to an open car for around 250 GBP.
Since the Jones boys did a excellent job, by rebuilding the engine and a IZ87 Super Charger for my car, I and several friends think it brings as much or even more fun as the Bugatti. We drove the L1 chassis around our orchard, mud flying around the ears and we had fun like little boys.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  22:40:36  Show Profile
Thanks Paul
All very nice cars, indeed.
The Continental Coupe by the way is one of my all time favorite MGs.
Supercharger will be a valuable addition, all the best with the restoration.
Reading further, there were only 95 1933 Sunbeam Speed 20s, smilar number to the L1 Continental Coupe.
The car photographed looks to have a body similar to Kimber's supercharged special, roof and boot like an L1 Continental Coupe, and pillarless like a KN saloon. Relatively expensive I expect, too.
All in all, your car is in fine company!
Regards
Donald McLeod
PB0759
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000