Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Original Die Cast Dip Stick for L1
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2016 :  04:41:27  Show Profile
I am looking for an original die cast dip stick, if relic but restorable
I can do it. I started on mine but its too far gone to save.
If anyone has one please contact me, thankyou.
More Moth Eaten.

N.D.Willey

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2016 :  21:01:07  Show Profile
I think it is still possible to buy new dipsticks - I had to buy one and the quality is very good. It was not marked but that was no problem, I filled the sump with the correct amount of oil and then filed a mark to show the oil level.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2016 :  22:41:28  Show Profile
http://www.vintagemgparts.com/engine_dipsticks.html

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2016 :  00:00:42  Show Profile
Thankyou I know the repro dip sticks, unfortunately my original is quite different and this what I am trying to find.
The trouble is the die cast metal starts to separate, so finding one
in reasonable condition will be very hard.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2016 :  14:24:15  Show Profile
Nigel,

In what way is yours 'quite different'?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2162 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  00:07:57  Show Profile
Hi Nigel

I was perplexed at you selling the L type dipstick I made for you, noting that you are now looking for another! I made you the original style L type one. If your car had an original dipstick which was not the same as the one I supplied to you then, as has often proved to be the case, your 1930s MMM dipstick does not belong to your L type engine

Regards

Richard

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  00:12:02  Show Profile
The difference is in the material and the casting definition, the original die cast metal oxidises and gives that lovely rich dark grey colour which I prefer.
The MG logo is finer and more well defined. I realise the alloy ones are
needed as the old die cast dip sticks deteriorate with age, I'll post an image to show you the difference. The point I am making is the MG logo definition and the hex are well done on the original dip stick. My preference is to try to use original parts because I like the patina and the casting quality. My dipstick is the original relic. The same stick is shown in my manual. Its not my intention to bag the parts dealers
because without them supplying these parts, restorations would be very expensive. Its a pity with todays technology, we don't have sufficient demand to be able to use it to replicate the detail accurately.
The devil is in the detail!

N.D.Willey

Edited by - Moth eaten on 22/07/2016 08:01:51
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2162 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  18:34:54  Show Profile
For the repro, I moulded directly from an original dipstick so, the logo is a direct copy of one of the 1930's mazak castings. The alloy on the reproduction is brighter than than the original but it won't crack and crumble. You can always spray it dull mat grey of course!

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 22/07/2016 19:00:59
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  22:15:03  Show Profile
Understand your concerns about aesthetics of the dipstick.
The originals heads as mentioned were cast in pot metal. Aluminium does not look quite right in my opinion particularly when highly polished, the definition will depend on the casting.
Process I plan to use should for the head if I need to replace my PB original which is just starting to split, is to rotational cast in pewter. Pewter ages in colour very similar to pot metal, and can be cast in very fine detail, the reason some very detailed model cars are made in pewter. For the detail on the badge, recommend tracing an original, then micro-milling to shape. So many reproductions I have seen such as on bonnet handles, get this fine detail incorrect. The rear axle dipstick head recommend pewter also.
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  23:53:19  Show Profile
I must admit some of the cast MG logos are awful, and these are original.
The ones on my rocker cover are terrible.
I am waiting on another original die cast dip stick, when I have it I will post images of both.

Its possible there are variations of casting definition in the dip sticks, some sharp and well defined, others not so.
When I have 2 to compare that should give the answer.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000