Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Eastwood Engine Turning kit 13117
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  23:28:22  Show Profile
Can you help!!

I am Engine Turning a dashboard with the 1" diameter Eastwood Engine Turning kit from Frost restoration and the arbor has worn out with the dashboard only 2/3rds done.

I have been in touch with both Frost and Eastwood, but it was discontinued about two years ago and they have no stock.

In desperation I wondered if anybody has one of these which they no longer need/use, so that I can finish the job?

Living in hope!!

Many thanks
Rod

Edited by - rodm on 13/09/2016 10:16:36

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  03:05:17  Show Profile
Rod,
I have seen these made using a cork or wooden dowel with sandpaper glued on the end and chucked up in a pedestal drill. You'll probably need to drill the dowel for a smaller diameter rod or bolt so as to fit it in the drill chuck.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  10:19:15  Show Profile
Thanks Lew
Problem is that having started, if I change material now away from the Eastwood product, the turning will look quite different!
BR
Rod
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1048 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  13:21:36  Show Profile
Surely if you create somthing with the same diameter and grit coursness the result would look the same?

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  15:17:29  Show Profile
Rod
What material does the eastman kit use for the actual grinding? As Onno suggests, would a grade of grinding paste or emery cloth work? A picture of the business end might help members to suggest a suitable alternative.
Have you tried eBay?
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2019 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  19:27:10  Show Profile
There is a good article in Wheatley and Morgan's book 'Restoration of VIntage and Thoroughbred Cars about mottling inwhich they recommend felt as a material mounted in a rotary cup.
Hope that helps.
Westbury

C.J. Edwards Harrill
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  19:31:20  Show Profile

Use a product called Cratex. It is a abrasive impregnated rubber stick that comes in multiple diameters and multiple grits. Choose a grit that matches your previous effors, cut the stick with a hack saw, and machine a mandrel to hold the stick.

quote:
Originally posted by rodm

Can you help!!

I am Engine Turning a dashboard with the 1" diameter Eastwood Engine Turning kit from Frost restoration and the arbor has worn out with the dashboard only 2/3rds done.

I have been in touch with both Frost and Eastwood, but it was discontinued about two years ago and they have no stock.

In desperation I wondered if anybody has one of these which they no longer need/use, so that I can finish the job?

Living in hope!!

Many thanks
Rod

Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  22:08:56  Show Profile
I've used something very similar to this, but not for engine turning, however it might work; it's 1" diameter. I'm sure you will find different grade abrasives

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sanding-Disc-Holder-25mm-3M-Roloc-Abrasive-Disc-Rotary-Attachment-Drill-Dotco-/150825156187?hash=item231de13e5b:g:sb0AAOxyM89ScRm5

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  23:59:15  Show Profile
Thanks to everybody for your replies - I hadn't expected such a response!

The Eastwood product is a rubberised abrasive roll with a mandrel screwed into a brass insert in the roll. When about 1/3rd of the roll has been used the brass insert is exposed preventing further use.

There is no mention on their leaflet of the grit spec.
I can take a picture of the roll, but can someone tell me where to find the details of how to up load the picture.

Many thanks
Rod
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2016 :  00:17:45  Show Profile
Rod,

For instructions on how to add a picture to a post click on FAQ above and under 'General' there is a sub section 'How to add a picture to a post'

Peter
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3679 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2016 :  11:33:32  Show Profile
I dug out my old copy of Wheatcroft and Morgan's 'The Restoration of Vintage and Thoroughbred Cars' as I recalled seeing a section on dashboard mottling - and hey presto!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2016 :  16:37:24  Show Profile
It was indeed fun to see the pages from Wheatcroft and Morgan's book. It was the book that was my bible in my youth. I originally began engine turning with their mottling tool and abandon it for my own as sited previously using Cratex abrasive sticks. I have turned firewalls and dashes on Bugatti, Miller, Allard, etc, etc, with ease. Shown is a simple setup using a drafting board top with a graduated T-square that allows for precise spacing. Hope it is of help. Note: I use a light engine oil when turning at low speed.

Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2016 :  09:45:53  Show Profile
Great news! I've managed to find a source. Chris put me on the right track. This product is made by Cratex and I have managed to find their UK distributor who had 7 in stock with 30% off !!
I should have the replacement by Monday.
Thank you all for your input.
Rod
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000