Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Re-siting the petrol tank
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  20:22:57  Show Profile
The more observant amongst you will notice that my M Type has a fuel tank at the rear a la J2. Well it doesn't, it's a sham. A mere empty shell. The tank remains in my lap and feeds the carb by reliable old gravity. The rear mock up is for appearances only. It seems it was done sometime in the 50's although why the P.O. didn't do the job properly is lost in the mists.... Anyway, I've thought about doing said job properly and subsequently moving the battery to where the lap tank is now. Has anyone else done this, or have thoughts about it. I won't be offended if you think it's wrong to further muck about with an already mucked about car. Alternatively, I could also think about returning it to it's original shape and have it looking like every other M Type. Just playing with ideas currently and glad of any comments

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2016 :  09:45:41  Show Profile
Since there are no replies so far I'll put my two penny-worth in. Turning it back to original will result in no car for possibly years. At the moment it looks like fun even if it isn't original, and putting a pointed tail on will mean other things will need changing - hood etc. I see you have original rear wings; fitting original front wings would improve the appearance; or get a matching set of 12/12 or J wings.
What about fitting a real rear tank similar to the fake one? You can then remove the scuttle tank and use the space for something else, plus you'll get a longer range between fill-ups.
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2016 :  10:37:27  Show Profile
Hi Peter,
its been like that longer than it had the pointed tail....and probably accounts for its survival in the 50s...... and it goes! Get out and about and tell the story.....
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2016 :  13:12:37  Show Profile
I'm with Foz on this, and think the car looks great, with an interesting back story.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2016 :  21:17:20  Show Profile
Ian, Foz, Colin....thanks for your comments. I'll do as you say and leave it alone, but the suggestion to fit new front wings is worth looking into.

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2016 :  14:48:20  Show Profile
Another rear tank view for a M type, owned by Rob Orander, USA. Unusual to sat the least. Long range 40 gallon tank for Le Mans??
Bob, Canada,

Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  10:18:44  Show Profile
Is this what people refer to as "manxed" ? In the way that Manx (Isle of Man) cats have no tail?
For what it's worth, I'd keep it as it is.

Brian

Edited by - briang on 03/11/2016 10:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  16:09:52  Show Profile
Peter,

Having seen your car close up, I would say she's a little gem. You may not know who modifiwd your car or why, but sometimes non-conformity is what art is all about. Be different and proud. If she runs well, then enjoy her. Rejoice in her unique personality. When I bought my car, the tank was at the back but the body was awful and the quality of the modification work abyssmal. That's why I decided to revert to original, because most of what was on the chassis had to be thrown away. That is certainly not your case,becuase the conversion looks to have been done to a good standard. Think of her as an "M Type Special" because special is what she is.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  21:08:47  Show Profile
Thanks Malcolm. I'm very happy with the car and I'm beginning to really enjoy going out and about for regular short runs. Currently in process of removing the oil pump but it hasn't read the script and is refusing to let go. Old cars, don't you love 'em.

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000