Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J4 oil filter housing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank van Dalen

Netherlands
28 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2016 :  20:39:49  Show Profile
For the rebuild of my J2 block I am looking for a J4 type oil filter housing. Apparently no-one is making them at the moment. Can anyone spare one?

Thanks,

Frank van Dalen
J2 4138
www.frankvandalen.net

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6204 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2016 :  22:38:29  Show Profile
Rich Hardy (Vintage MG Parts) has them listed on his web site - see http://www.vintagemgparts.com/oil_filters.html

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Frank van Dalen

Netherlands
28 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2016 :  19:56:53  Show Profile
A trustworthy source tells me that Rich and other well known suppliers have run out and no one is manufacturing any at the moment. I'll check with Rich to be sure, but in the meantime I'm still looking.

Thanks for your response!

Frank van Dalen
J2 4138
www.frankvandalen.net
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6204 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2016 :  21:31:50  Show Profile
They are certainly a worthwhile modification and look so much better than the ones that utilise a modern spin-on filter. Highly recommended (if you can get one)!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2057 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2016 :  23:47:51  Show Profile
Frank,I seem to remember you can modify an oil filter from an N or P type by cutting the mounting flange. Might help to widen your search area.
Cheers.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2057 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2016 :  23:51:31  Show Profile
Frank,I seem to remember you can modify an oil filter from an N or P type by cutting the mounting flange. Might help to widen your search area.
Cheers.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
882 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2016 :  17:47:00  Show Profile
Frank,
surely the fitting holes of a P/N-type oil filter casing and a K/L-type casing are identical.

But it’s not so uncritical to convert a P/N-type oil filter casing to a K/L-type casing, by just cutting the mounting flange.

The reason is, that the oilways in the K/L-block are different to that of the P/N-block.

Compared to the P/N- type oil filter, the K/L-type filter casing has two drill holes connecting the filter casing to the block.
When the filter is installed, these two drill holes match two channels in the K/L block casting.
The rear drill hole supplies with filtered oil through the rear channel the main bearing 2 and via the oil pipe the main bearing 3 and rear main bearing, and that channel also goes all the way to the offside of the block.
Here we have the aluminium casting with the oil pressure gauge take off, but also from here the oil is detoured, and returns back by the front channel casting into the front drilling of the filter casing.
This front drilling internally is linked with the union for feeding the external piping to the front main bearing and also the cylinderhead.
To what extent that difference between an P/N- type filter casing and a K/L-type casing, has a influence when used for a J4, I can’t tell.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

Frank van Dalen

Netherlands
28 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2016 :  17:25:21  Show Profile
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses! I can confirm that it will be a while until new J4 style housings will be made since a new pattern needs to be made first. I will continue my search for a P type housing unless I manage to find a J4 housing.

Best regards,

Frank van Dalen
J2 4138
www.frankvandalen.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000