Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 N/P reverse gear detent
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2016 :  11:20:39  Show Profile
If anybody has a reverse gear detent and spring for N Type, I'd be interested to hear from them. I think P Type is identical.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Letchworth, Herts
NA0950

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3247 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2016 :  16:41:36  Show Profile
I think the usual sources for Triple-M spares such as sports & Vintage sell these "reverse stops".

As you note the item is identical as between the P and N types.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2016 :  13:43:42  Show Profile
Thanks George. It didn't occur to me to check whether you could buy them new. Excellent choice from S&V!

Letchworth, Herts
NA0950
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2016 :  09:28:48  Show Profile
I have just spoken to Jamie at S&V and he tells me that they did stock the detent many years ago but don't now. He also tells me that they have never stocked the spring that fits behind the detent.
I have been looking for a spring for some time so if anyone knows where I might find one I would be most grateful.
Thanks
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2016 :  10:05:08  Show Profile
I vaguely remember that one can retatively make une using a hacksaw blade, de tempering it, grinding the teeth off to achieve the correct width, drilling a hole for the retaining screw and then retenpering it . What I cannot remember are the details for the retenpering to achieve Spring steel but I am confident someone else will

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2016 :  11:08:31  Show Profile
Having just broken my reverse detent I made anew one from a bit off an old boat windlass. It is made from a good quality aluminium alloy and took a couple of hours with hacksaw and file. The starting block was about 40mmx 40mm x 60mm. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2016 :  18:42:34  Show Profile
My apologies for the sequential typographical errors in my post of 10.05 this morning. Here is a corrected version, it relates to the spring rather than the detent.

I vaguely remember that one can relatively easily make one using a hacksaw blade, de-tempering it, grinding the teeth off to achieve the correct width, drilling a hole for the retaining screw and then retempering it. What I cannot remember are the details for the retempering to achieve spring steel but I am confident someone else will.

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2016 :  23:19:52  Show Profile
There was one available commercially some years ago, cast brass.
Casting not that strong or accurate, recommend use solid brass with a slightly larger profile on the thin section next to the tab.
They can be made as I and a friend did recently, by hand from solid brass. Took about 10 hours each with hacksaw, file and abrasive paper.
Turned out like this.
They are a rather nice sculptured shape, and the spring steel blade at the back fits snugly when the gate is up, as shown.
This is the original spring. Hacksaw blade not suitable, suggest use a suitable donor such as wind up toy spring, old clock spring, etc. If too thin, can use multiple layers to give the right strength and feel.
Hole is a loose 3/16" (5mm), with a pin held by a washer and split pin. If drilled out on remote, suggest make brass or nylon inserts.
Considering supplying a kit next year, comprising a marked out rough cut and drilled blank cut from 1" square solid brass, machined pin, and fabricated spring. Have some brass now enquiries welcome.
Difficult to mill being a sculptured engineered shape.
Also shown, my glued back original gate beside a piece of 1"square brass.
Donald
PB0759

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000