Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Chrome Platers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 :  18:13:07  Show Profile
Does anyone have a strong recommendation for chrome platers in the south of the country ? I want to get a prepared rad shell plated and am trying to save a long trip up north to my usual platers. A search brings up companies like Ashford Plating, Silvabronz in Alton, Douglas Plating, London Plating, Chrome Restoration folkstone etc.
Any comments here or direct appreciated.
Thanks

TH

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 :  18:48:14  Show Profile
Terry

I have used Ashford Plating for a couple of small jobs. They were rather slow and the quality was sort of OK but I would tend to look for a better source for something as conspicuous as a rad shell.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

nigel stroud

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 :  19:04:26  Show Profile
Hi Terry,
I have had 2 rad shells re-chromed by S&T Platers near Bristol, one of which needed extensive repair which they carried out. The chrome quality was very good.
Tel: 01454 313162
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 :  21:36:36  Show Profile
Does the 'Electro Platers' section in the 'Suppliers' folder need up-dating?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 :  22:41:31  Show Profile
Yes, Bruce, it does - Premier Plating were forced to close their business for environmental control reasons - the cost of re-equipping their business would have been prohibitive

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  09:30:40  Show Profile
I can recommend Douglas Metal Finishing of Lewisham, London. They repaired and replated my J2 surround and mesh to a high standard. I have used them for my Rover items for some years. I used to use Castle Chrome of Dudley, West Midlands, but they ' lost ' a rare hub cap and do not reply to emails when challenged, I will be taking matters further soon. Douglas Metal Finishing Ltd. Unit 3B Juno Way Ind. Estate. SE14 5RW, my contact is Bishop ( that's his first name ).

CJD
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  11:32:56  Show Profile
Terry. Suggest you talk to Nev Churcher. He speaks very highly of some platers (and polishers) in Gosport. I did have their name added to the "Suppliers" Section of this website last year, but haven't checked to establish whether the name still appears. Nev will tell you all about them.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  12:26:59  Show Profile
Hi Terry
I have used Silvabronz at Alton they were very good, but seemed a bit expensive. I was recommended by a chap who has just re-built a magnificent E Type Jaguar and when I went there a another Jaguar man I know was taking some wheels in, so triply recommended.
I might add that I was rebuilding my 18/80, so had the screen surround, head light surround, door handles and other bits like mirror surrounds done but only had them nickel plated.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 18/12/2016 12:27:32
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  16:17:08  Show Profile
Thanks for all your comments - much appreciated. Has anyone dealt with Silvabronz at Alton ? Colin, thanks for info re the Gosport people and yes I know about them from Nev and another friend who has used them.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  16:27:16  Show Profile
I have deleted premier plating and added Douglas Metal finishers.
If you have any update information such as suppliers to add or to update or delete if they are no longer trading, please just email me directly and I will update that forum.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  16:29:16  Show Profile
John - sorry did not spot that you had already responded. Very helpful thanks.

TH
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  19:33:39  Show Profile
Terry,

Ian MacKay has just had the radiator shell for his K1 plated and it looks very smart. Might be worth giving him a call.

John R

Edited by - John Reid on 18/12/2016 19:34:16
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  20:20:07  Show Profile
Thanks John - Ian has been in touch already.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  22:01:12  Show Profile
Terry,

Ian's chrome platers were....?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  22:48:13  Show Profile
Peter ironically, in view of our discussion, it was Premier Plating of Walthamstow, East London see
http://www.premierplatingworks.co.uk/

TH
Go to Top of Page

Npdavea

United Kingdom
272 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2016 :  11:42:05  Show Profile
I used Ashford for the Rad. surround on my NB as well as headlight bodies and resilvering.
The worst part about the job was the difficulty of getting the office staff to understand what the technical chaps were doing. I had to tell them what should go on the invoice eventually!
The finished jobs were fine but I agree they were a bit tardy in delivery. I placed the order in March 2015, the job was finished in May and we argued for another month over getting the invoice right!
However they picked up the jobs from Stamford Lincs. and delivered the finished items back to me OK.

D P Allen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000