Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Polishing the pipe.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  00:06:50  Show Profile
Hello All,
Started out with this horrid looking outlet manifold pipe raw cast in ali. I had thought it a waste of time to try and make something out of the casting that came with PA 1024. To my great surprise the thing looks quite good after a good file, sanding, polish, and buff.
Problem though discovered is that the metal has bubbles in the casting that I cannot polish away...
I wonder should I search for another or accept the minor flaws in the casting? Your thoughts please.

Kindly,

Brian W Sullivan

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  07:27:34  Show Profile
The pipe is not a structural element, and so the degassing carried out before sand casting will have been done, but this does not prevent small (pin-hole) bubbles, more towards the centre of the section. You would be very lucky to find an example without any of these flaws.

The work you have done looks fine, and only a purist would complain!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  16:30:34  Show Profile
Does anyone know?
Is a tall gasket available for this outlet pipe. The edge wall is getting very thin at the corner nearest the cockpit. This because I have attempted to fit with the exhaust manifold and is a very tight fit. A tall gasket would allow the bearing surface to be lifted away from the side of the engine and away from the tight fit against the manifold. I am concerned about grinding more off to fit.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  18:45:09  Show Profile
Brian

You should not have to grind any material off to fit the manifold to the cylinder head.

I think you will find Sports and Vintage Motors supply the correct gaskets.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  19:22:20  Show Profile
Hi George,
The casting was not the best work. The part must have been acquired back in perhaps 1970's. the interior of the square portion looks quite close to the edge of the casting. I have already ground away a significant amount of material just to remove the extremely rough casting. The holes for mounting were already in place probably from whoever provided the part and do fit the studs. The problem is the casting impinges onto the top of the manifold.

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  21:45:44  Show Profile
Hi Brian

The water manifold requires rubber-based gaskets and these are generally available, or can be made very easily. It's generally recommended that you use brass nuts on the exhaust manifold but for the water manifold steel is OK. And yes, this manifold comes rather close to the exhaust manifold, but you shouldn't really need much of a gap between the two ....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2017 :  08:37:29  Show Profile
Brian , it looks as if your exhaust manifold is stove enameled, if so that might just affect the critical fit in that area. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2017 :  09:03:35  Show Profile
I've always found you need to dress new water manifolds slightly for P/N/L to clear the exhaust manifold.Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  00:40:37  Show Profile
George

You often seem to forget Vintage MG Parts in your recommendations. We also make such parts

Richard

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  21:34:09  Show Profile
Hi Rich

I know you can't keep a good man down, but may I humbly observe that while it's OK for a trader to comment in general terms on a matter of interest, probably the appropriate location for a product pitch is the Traders' area?

Regards
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  22:18:37  Show Profile
No product pitch Dick, just a general observation !

Thanks by the way for your off-line recommendation earlier today, appreciated and I have spoken with the chap this evening

Regards

Richard

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 06/02/2017 22:19:44
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  23:07:37  Show Profile
Thank you All!
The help provided is always much appreciated.

Can someone tell me roughly how thick the rubber gasket is? At the moment if The thickness were less than 1/8" the inlet pipe would touch the exhaust manifold.
I note that Oliver points out it is common to have to dress the manifold slightly. I believe part of the problem is the former owner appears to have had the exhaust manifold powder coated in ceramic black coat. I have found the same powder coat used on the Lucas Altette Horn with the car.
Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  01:20:21  Show Profile
Brian, if I may, I agree with Oliver in that you will have to take more metal off the water manifold to achieve the clearance you require.From your photo of the polished manifold it appears you have plenty of 'meat' to play with. Sometimes you have to 'bite the bullet' to achieve the desired effect!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  04:33:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Westbury

it appears you have plenty of 'meat' to play with. Sometimes you have to 'bite the bullet' to achieve the desired effect!

Chris

Oh My Goodness! Please; no sexual undertones on this Forum.

Signed: Embarrassed in Kansas.

Brian...................

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  08:49:06  Show Profile
Hi Rich,

Naturally I advised the enquirer of all the potential suppliers that he might wish to contact with his requirements. Got to be fair to everyone, after all!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  07:46:44  Show Profile
3.00mm Nitrile for the water manifold gasket

Richard

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page