Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Sheffield Registration Records for 1933
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  09:19:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

It is a very good thing that Sheffield kept a record of cars and registration numbers issued but the archive does not include chassis numbers! Another problem is, the first registered owner noted is not the customer but the dealer who registered the car pre-sale!

M.G. records show J3704 was supplied in Sheffield by Pointings Ltd., on 18th October 1933 but Abingdon probably noted the date the car was 'registered for guarantee' which was presumably the day the new owner collected it in a fully road legal state with number plates , tax disc and insurance. But the crucial question is - "when was it registered with the local authority and a registration number issued?"

The Sheffield archive looks like this -

(all the above are 'WJ' followed by the quoted number)

So the challenge is, which one is J3704 ?

Since, according to the M.G. record Mr S T Bailey bought his M.G.J2 on 18th October 1933 and the car was presumably road legal, then there is a good chance the M.G. Midget 2 seater registered with the authorities 4th October 1933 could be the one - namely WJ 7880. But 'a good chance' is not proof.

Thanks for the suggestion John to try Sheffield City Archives. Although the research is far from complete this is a big help.

Sam

Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  10:39:50  Show Profile
This time I think I have clicked on the correct place.

Further to the discussion re dates relating to J3704

I am lucky enough to have many of Mike Hawke's records so.............

The date of build is listed as 27th September, the date of supply to Pointings Ltd not quoted but the date of delivery to the customer is, as stated,the 18th October 1933. Clearly 3 weeks gives adequate time for the car to be sent north,groomed and made ready for the customer to pick it up, which would, in normal circumstances include attending to all the requirements of the day including issuing the number plate etc.

I have just checked the date of initial registration and assignment of number plate of my Morgan. It was the 3rd July with the delivery date 10 days later, black Friday therefore clearly the above timings all fit.

Should we however assume the car was first registered in Sheffield ? My car, J3096, supplied new to Stafford does not carry a Stafford plate, but a Stoke one . All very strange. See my very 1st posting.

The question is "what other car could it be?"

Sadly it is NOT WJ7880 as that plate number was issued to J3701 a green car, build date 26.9.33, delivered to Pointings 5.10.33 and sold to Dr J A R Lee on the same day. ( obviously a car made to order)The 4th Oct date on the Road Fund Licence print out also confirms.

The next J2 Pointings handled within the time period as per the print out in Sams posting was a red car, J4120 , UG7908 which came via University Motors so it is not this one.

Pointings also sold J3609 UG6376 on 22.9.33, and J3561 KY5365 on 1.11.33

That only leaves WJ8058 dated 10.11.33 It could be J3704, our car assuming it was taxed etc in Sheffield first but that date does not tie up with the delivery date.

The mystery is unsolved but we do know something It is not WJ7880.

An after thought; Are the records shown in this posting all the 2 seater MG midgets licensed at the time or is what's shown only a sample of the records? It is also quite clear from Mike's records that Pointings sold a number of J2's that had come via other dealers and were already taxed etc before arriving in Sheffield.

Peter and J 3096
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000