Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Dash lamps - how good?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2017 :  20:31:35  Show Profile
My NB has a non-original dash which I suspect might have started life as a teak dining table. However, it has been on the car since for at least 40 years and so is arguably as much part of its history as anything else.

This dash doesn't have the two "diver's helmet" lamps, or mounting holes for them. I'm considering fitting a pair, but I'm not sure whether this is really worthwhile. I've never seen these lamps in use, but I look at their low wattage (3W?) and the very acute angle at which they throw light across the dash, and I wonder how effective they can be. Do they really make all that much difference to night driving?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Kevin Jones
Letchworth, Herts
NA0950

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2017 :  22:17:54  Show Profile
Kevin,

If you're driving in the dark, as opposed to just at night, i.e. out in the countryside and not in a well light city, you won't really be able to see the instruments without dash lights. It would seem that the standard bulbs were 5W which I found very bright, not to mention being an extra amp or thereabouts of current draw. So I fitted some lower output LED bulbs (see picture) that cast a nice glow across the instruments that they're directed at (primarily oil pressure and water temp)but aren't too bright. I also have them on an on/off switch should they prove to be a distraction.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 19/02/2017 22:23:44
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2017 :  17:47:20  Show Profile
The N types have 2 brown divers helmet dash lamps plus a push/pull on off switch.

Perhaps the attached photo of the dashboard on my old NB might give you some idea of location. It is certainly nice to be able to keep any eye on the oil pressure gauge when driving at night!

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 20/02/2017 17:49:22
Go to Top of Page

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2017 :  21:07:51  Show Profile
Thank you both. It sounds as though the dash lamps work pretty well, so they will be worth fitting.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Jones
Letchworth, Herts
NA0950
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2017 :  22:08:23  Show Profile
Hi Kevin,
I have four divers helmet dash lamps which when fitted with 5w bulbs were far too bright on an unlit road. I was given some 12 v 1w Philips bulbs which I fitted by using a rubber grommet to hold them against the power connection in the bulbholder. The result is satisfactory but I have to swivel the helmets round to see all the instruments.
I don't know where to get any more bulbs though.
Malcolm

Sorry the picture is upside down
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2017 :  23:36:12  Show Profile
To convert my dashlights to LED I used a BA9s bulb holder from Paul Goff - item number HL13121 on this page http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffylighting.htm I just took the positive terminal and wire out of the existing bulbholders, removed the rubber seal and pressed the new bulb holders in with the positive wire threaded through the hole on the bottom of the existing bulbholder.It's a nice tight fit but not so tight as to damage anything.

The bulbs were White LDINST on this page - http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/GoffyDaytimeLights.htm

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 20/02/2017 23:37:07
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2017 :  20:47:58  Show Profile
Now the right way up
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2017 :  20:53:44  Show Profile
Thank you Nick.
Why do all my photos appear upside down?
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2017 :  23:55:06  Show Profile
Malcolm
I really don't know, do you use a regular camera or a phone/tablet?
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2017 :  07:42:03  Show Profile
Hi Nick,
On my iPad.
I have emailed you online
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page