Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG NB DOOR STARBURST PATTERN
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  00:41:27  Show Profile
Hi James,

It was thin plywood. Not sure on the quality...all pretty rotten now. These cars are not from my car but from a friend (who lives about 800 miles away!). I note on Pat's car that the seats and the door cards etc are a different colour. What is the correct "green" for an NA?
I'd be keen for a set of the patterns Dave if you are happy to send them?

(my car was re-trimmed in the 70's rather badly!)

Thanks

Andrew

NA 0279
PA 1294
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  08:07:06  Show Profile
Was there much sewing through the entire card? I thought most only went through the covering/wadding. This was then attached from the rear with staples and glue.
I am quite happy to be proved wrong though!
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  09:31:25  Show Profile
Hi James,
I have some original TC trim panels, they are made of 3 ply, about 4 mm, probably 5/32", thick. The quality is good, about the same as birch ply but the really noticeable thing is just how thin the rexine covering is. As you know , the hidem is sewn straight through it all.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:45:02  Show Profile

Was there much sewing through the entire card? I thought most only went through the covering/wadding. This was then attached from the rear with staples and glue.
I am quite happy to be proved wrong though!
[/quote]

Yes, a trimmer uses glue and staples to attach the covering material: vinyl or leather but sometime through P-Type production, as J2s didn't have it, they started sewing around the semi-circle pocket cutout to stop the vinyl lifting around this area. I use very good spreadable contact adhesive like Thixofix so will only sew through the door cards if the customer asks for it and 1 of my 2 heavy industrial machines is playing ball. I had one of my machines serviced by a retired 72 year old sewing machine engineer who had been trained since leaving school and he told me off when I told him I did it, said he had never seen it before and that to his knowledge no sewing machine had been designed to sew through hard wood.
Morris/MG really were revolutionary in the way they solved problems. Hidem banding (hidem gimp or double welt piping) is widely used in other old cars and marine trimming, old and modern but they staple it on afterwards through the middle, they never sew it on through wood.

Regards James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 02/04/2018 11:02:11
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:50:05  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by g waiting

Hi James,
I have some original TC trim panels, they are made of 3 ply, about 4 mm, probably 5/32", thick. The quality is good, about the same as birch ply but the really noticeable thing is just how thin the rexine covering is. As you know , the hidem is sewn straight through it all.
Garry

Hi Garry, yes there is no doubt about it, hidem was sewn onto the trim panel through the middle of the hidem and the stitch formed on the rear of the wood. Luckily I don't do many T-Types now as it isn't good for the sewing machine. I've downsized our operation, I'm just one man in a small unit... and ofcourse, I prefer making interiors for MMM :-).
PS original Rexine was thin, it was like paper, easy to wrap around awkward shapes but looks cheap and creases easily. I have 2 machines that will sew through 3-4mil ply without hidem but as soon as I introduce the hidem it struggles. So now I stick it on with strong double-sided sticky tape and then staple through the middle and ofcourse it gets panel pins banged through the middle of it to fit the panels to the car so the stitching is handy but not essential.
Thankfully MMMs were produced before the wide use of hidem so it isn't a problem with those. Yet another reason why I prefer MMM interiors to T-Types :-)

Regards James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 02/04/2018 11:11:30
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  10:16:51  Show Profile
Thamks James, that makes more sense to me now, I'm just not used to modern cars like T types! I have one more question for you but I'll send that in a separate email

Kevin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000