Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Register AGM
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Onno

Netherlands
1062 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  17:47:50  Show Profile
Terry my suggestion was meant with a ;)

But to be honest John has a point.
A skype, go to meeting or other invitational broadcast would make th AGM readily accessible to all members with a laptop/smartphone and internet connection.

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  17:50:08  Show Profile
I think Tim Sharp has hit the nail on the head, but would disagree with the suggestion of holding the AGM at MG Live , which now holds little attraction for the MMM racing fraternity . This is well put by Brian Watson in his first paragraph. Can a study be made to determine which is the most popular event in the calendar ( pre-War Prescott ? ) and see if there is a facility there where it can be held ?
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2581 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  17:54:31  Show Profile
My vote is for Colin's suggestion and indeed, was there not a suggestion that the annual dinner be held at the Touring Event, specifically because it enabled those other than residents of the Home Counties to attend occasionally?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6203 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  19:21:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

...specifically because it enabled those other than residents of the Home Counties to attend occasionally?

Ah, but that meant that those from the Home Counties would have to visit the regions. And therein lies the rub. I seem to recall that we had more Australians on the Ulster Tour than we had Committee members, Peter Hemmings being the honourable exception.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1509 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  19:56:14  Show Profile
Ironically Steffi and I very nearly went to the AGM but a last minute spanner in the works ruled it out. :(

D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3246 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  20:27:41  Show Profile
This topic has generated quite a lot of interest and suggestions.

With regards to the AGM I publish the Notice in Safety Fast, Digby puts it in the Bulletin and Dick mentioned the AGM on this Forum.

The AGM notice asks members to send nominations/questions to the Secretary, it is a fact that in the last 5/6 years I did not receive either any nominations or any questions. This begs another question from me - if members did not agree with the venue, time of year etc why did they not say so?

The other part of my posting is the point that we cannot find anyone to join the Committee. Add to this the fact that we also asked for volunteers to assist at both Stoneleigh and Silverstone. This year we had only one member volunteer at both venues, and that was the same person. As is the norm Committee members manned the Register's stand/library sales.

On another note I find the observations about Silverstone interesting. In the not too distant past we had to "Police" the Register's allotted parking space as we used to have over 100 cars; this year I counted just 13 on Saturday although there were other cars dotted around. Also many regulars from the UK and abroad did not attend. Pity but not surprising given the fact that the Triple-M racing is enjoying success at Brands Hatch and at Cadwell Park - thanks to Mark Dolton and our enthusiastic racers.

George
Secretary

Edited by - George Eagle on 27/06/2017 20:31:31
Go to Top of Page

correlejco

United Kingdom
251 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  21:06:46  Show Profile
Terry

I am very aware of the geography of the UK. I suggested that Oxfordshire was fairly central for the majority of UK members (not that it's in the centre of the UK). Not far from London, the Midlands - but I agree not convenient for you or me. Overseas members flying into Heathrow probably find it not too inconvenient.

I haven't done the analysis but I would guess that the epicentre of MMM membership lies somewhere around Oxfordshire / Warwickshire. If you've plotted the membership and find that it's in Yorkshire or Devon, I will happily defer.

The point I was making is that MMM owners are all over the place, and, while Abingdon's a good a venue as any, many of us are disinclined to drive too far on our crowded roads to attend a meeting. And if we choose to put up with the impersonality of Skype meetings, we might get more willing participants and committee members from wider geographical, even international, regions.

John - 1934 NA0492
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  11:14:56  Show Profile
John

If your assumption that Oxfordshire/Warwickshire (which it could well be!) is the epicentre of Triple-M ownership then it's a pretty poor reflection on the enthusiasm of the majority. With a big fat zero AGM turnout this year and similar embarrassingly low numbers other years I can well understand the dismay of hard working, long standing Committee members.
I take your point about Skype etc but this would/could exclude a large section of (older) membership taking part. My point about Colin's suggestion of a 'touring AGM' is that it would provide the Committee with a wider view of opinion and knowledge. I was once told by a prominent Committee member (and sadly I don't think he was joking) that decisions on where to hold events were based on a belief that Triple-M owners in the North didn't use their cars much, they just restored them and kept them in a garage - absolute tripe!
Let's keep this AGM attendance problem discussion going until a credible solution is found. It needs sorting for the benefit of all, especially as Dick and George say we ungently need to recruit new Committee members - who will feel their efforts are appreciated by well attended AGMs.

Terry Hartley
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  12:51:22  Show Profile
Oh dear! How many times over the years have I heard most of this? I think the idea of linking the AGM to the annual tour is a good one, and suggest the committee mull it over at their routine deliberations.
At present,
many of the committee live within relatively easy striking distance of Abingdon, where they hold their committee meetings, and to follow on the AGM in the same room has its merits. I also had the opportunity to take the NA there for a run on a lovely day!!
We do, however, have to realise that we are a worldwide organisation and cannot please everyone, wherever we end up.

Of a little more concern is the lack of volunteers to join the committee. Unlike the Centres, or smaller clubs we need volunteers to serve, preferably younger people, who can spend half a dozen days a year at committee meetings. Initially you will probably find you have a "sitting brief", and be allocated a position as these occur, gathering experience in the meantime. For the key posts as Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer we need people with experience of MG Car Club work, the Treasurer is usually an ACA, but no formal qualification is needed.

Please try to find a little time, and chat to one of the committee. The up-coming Summer Party is an ideal opportunity, but you can always drop a line (E-mail or letter) to any member of the committee, or even me if you don't want to talk to the committee... er why not?

The Register needs YOU!

Enjoy your car, enjoy your Register, and come to help it survive.

Mike Allison
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  15:08:21  Show Profile
To add to Terry's post - The SVW Register have their AGM during their annual touring event.
Attendances are pretty good - most of the tourers [though not all their partners] turn up.
It also gives overseas members on the event a chance to sample the workings of the Register.
With Terrys' other point - I would, as a definite old fogey luddite, not understand the workings of Skype and stuff
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000