Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fitting 60 mm pistons to PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  15:39:59  Show Profile
I have found that the bottom 1/2" of the liner to no. 2 cylinder has dropped into the sump, which I am guessing is the cause of the hydraulic lock and consequent seizure that has kept me off the road for rather too many years. I obviously need to replace the liner, but while I am at it I am considering fitting 60mm liners and pistons... is it as simple as that or or there other things I need to be aware of?

Comments and advice gratefully received.

Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 27/06/2007 18:03:55

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  16:11:58  Show Profile
Not sure on this but if it is the later twin breather block fitted to the last of the PA`s then you should have enough meat as the block was used for the PB.

Try salt and vinegar before you proceed he will know the answer.

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  16:29:56  Show Profile
Graham if you measure the overall thickness of the block from one water jacket face to the other then measure in from that face to the outside of bore casting on both sides add those dimensions together and deduct one figure from the other you will have the total outside diameter of the bore casting. You can then deduct from that the OD of your proposed liner to find out how much meat will be left if you bore out to accomodate them. You will also need to check by measurement whether the bore castings are central in the block because if they are not the wall will be thinner one side than the other and you may not be able to bore out as far as you want to without breaking through.
I suspect a standard P block can be bored out to 60mm but whether there is enough meat to incorporate a liner for that size piston I do not know.

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  17:35:31  Show Profile
Terry, the water inlet side is ok but how do I get to t'other side? It is a two breather block by the way, Mike, but salt and vinegar? whaa?

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  17:44:29  Show Profile
Graham,

You have to remove the core plugs.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  17:46:33  Show Profile
Graham,

Salt & vinegar means Sports and Vintage (Mike Dowley).

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  18:36:43  Show Profile
...Doh!...
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  18:05:11  Show Profile
Thanks for guidance, fellas, work is proceeding (slowly)...

Graham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000