Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 buying the "Minefield" that is MMM
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2017 :  08:09:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Hartley

There's a very nice looking PA for sale on this website. It sounds to have had a sensible rebuild inc new block, crank etc etc...
No connection, just looks interesting for the asking price.

Terry

aww thanks Terry....apologies if I'm not up to speed but what website (this one) and what car?
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2017 :  09:05:24  Show Profile
Russ
The website is the one you are now looking at
If you go back to the homepage and click on the 'cars for sale' button it will take you to a selection of ads directly placed on the Register website. The PA I mentioned is the second one down.
Good luck with your search.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2017 :  12:11:51  Show Profile
That's the same car that's on prewarcar.com

Looks very nice & has had all the right bits done to the engine...

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6192 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2017 :  17:13:30  Show Profile
Russ,

At the risk of being excommunicated for heresy I do wonder if a small Triple-M car is the best way of dipping your toe into the older classic/vintage experience. They are very small and cramped, quite tricky to drive until you're used to them, (cable brakes, non synchro gear box, 'iffy' steering, etc.) and not at all relaxing in modern traffic. They are of course great fun and I wouldn't part with my J2, but they aren't to everyone's taste.

If you've never experienced one then I'd certainly suggest trying to find someone to take you out as a passenger first to see if you think you'd enjoy the experience of owning and driving one.

But...another option might be to consider a T Type which, in TA/TB/TC form, will give you a very similar experience but with more comfort, synchro on the top three gears and better brakes, or a TD or TF that have better steering as well. (And yes, I know that cable brakes can be made to work well, but even doing that is not for the faint hearted.)

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2017 :  17:56:42  Show Profile
I would suggest maybe trying a prewar Rover, say a 10hp or 12hp. won't break the bank, spares are readily available ( many are still used on Land Rover ), great backup, forum, quality ( known as poor mans Rolls Royce ) . Come in all forms, tourers, saloons, speed saloons, DHCs, coupes both standard and ' doctors '. Were ahead of their time, with Startex automatic engine restarter ( you thought that was new ! ), Luvax automatic chassis lubrication system ( far superior to MMM and RR / Bentley versions ). Great local experts always on hand to assist, full colour magazine ' Freewheel ' voted best club magazine, rally two weeks ago saw 800 classic Rovers turn up. Sooooo comfortable, realiable ( I happily will drive 300 + miles in one of mine and arrive totally relaxed ).All models had 12" girling rod brakes as standard on all models, ( brilliant if well maintained ). Engines very reliable, long lived, quality materials, Vaumol Leather interiors, Freewheel..... Maybe I have said enough !!
photo. My 1938 10hp P2 Doctors Coupe and my 1934 10hp P1 ' coach saloon '

CJD

Edited by - MG Maverick on 24/08/2017 18:10:05
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2054 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2017 :  18:10:35  Show Profile
Hello Simon.
Whilst I agree with everything you say about the downside to driving a cramped and uncomfortable prewar car,to me, and hopefully to Russ, the overriding

consideration has to be the overwhelming pride of driving a car of exemplary quality and presence and which from the point of view of history and achievement can hold its own against anything else. In addition, can anything else look as good as a 1930s MG?
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2054 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2017 :  18:22:11  Show Profile
Hello Simon.
Whilst I agree with everything you say about the downside to driving a cramped and uncomfortable prewar car,to me, and hopefully to Russ, the overriding

consideration has to be the overwhelming pride of driving a car of exemplary quality and presence and which from the point of view of history and achievement can hold its own against anything else. In addition, can anything else look as good as a 1930s MG?
Chris
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
436 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2017 :  18:23:34  Show Profile
Hi

Lots of very good advice here, but I'd start by begging a ride with someone close to you to see what it feels like after a while and perhaps be allowed to drive it.

Surely there must be some member closer than I am that can offer you a ride.

Good luck

Sven
Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6192 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2017 :  19:00:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Westbury

In addition, can anything else look as good as a 1930s MG?
Chris

Chris,

I'm a died in the wool J2 guy who waited nearly forty years to drive my car, but the reality is that, for many people, they could get the same enjoyment, maybe more, and less hassle, driving a TC. And to the man on the Clapham omnibus, there is little to tell the TC from a Triple-M car.
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
965 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2017 :  02:40:30  Show Profile
Yes, Simon - the man on the Clapham omnibus would indeed
be hard put to tell the difference between my PB and David Lewis' TC.

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2017 :  09:32:34  Show Profile
Omnibus passengers have no sense of style. The rear wings alone on a P type make it a thing of infinite beauty, and a joy to behold. The rear wings on a TC look heavy and overlong by comparison.

Russ, get a ride, and preferable a drive, in a P type or J2. I would happily oblige, but am a bit far away. Although I can't (daren't) disagree with Simon's basic points, if you can initially live with, and eventually master, driving a Triple-M, you will be hooked for life.

I agree that the one mentioned by Terry sounds well worth a look.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2017 :  12:03:38  Show Profile
All MGs are fun to drive, even MGBs. But a MMM has the added joy of driving a responsive car that requires skill and practice. There is no substitute. My son and I have three, and I admit the M type is a little tight (I need to loose 5 pounds from my middle he doesn't) but the J2 and PA fit just right. I agree that a test drive as to comfort may be necessary, but if you fit, there is no substitute for a pre war MG. Especially in this era where few people know how to drive and cars now have front and back cameras, lane changing warning systems, alerts that someone is driving to your side,automatic collision protection and self parking ability. What's left? You cant be on the phone while driving a J2.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2017 :  17:10:57  Show Profile
thanks for all the advice.....with this pre-war car malarkey if I'm in I'm in whether it be a J2 PA PB F1 F2 Q type if I like it and it's a good 'un I'll buy it if I don't get on with it once I've bought it I'll sell it which shouldn't be a problem if it's the right car to start with which is why I'm being fussy with my choices it has to be right.....the way I see it it will take possibly many months of driving out in it to get used to all the quirkes of these little cars so I'm afraid unless someones going to lend me a J2 (say) for a few months as a single days drive in one won't really answer all the questions I've got to buy one I'm sure I'll grow to love it as I have the looks and sounds.....so with eyes wide open and jumping in feet first I'll hopefully be buying something MMM soon so I'll have to dust off my double declutching on the up's and downs (with a touch of rev matching on the downs I might add)....see I haven't forgotten I'm just way out of practice which should be suitably amusing for the missus as wingman hearing me grind my way through the gearbox LOL......part of the reason for going pre-war is the fact that modern cars are to big to heavy to fast to easy to drive un-involving boring to look at (in my opinion anyway) most of them you wouldn't want to drive out in the country around the lanes because they're far to big....do you see where I'm coming from here....anyway I'll love you and leave you for now some of us have work to do.....LOL
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2017 :  16:58:36  Show Profile
Good decision, and best of luck!

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page