Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rear Spring engraving
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2017 :  17:19:40  Show Profile
Hello Gents,
Ordered a set of springs from one of our suppliers and arrived in fine condition. Although they do not match the profile of the originals.

decided to take the packs apart and clip the edges of each corner to the original 30 degree angle. Also have decided to go the extra mile and have all the springs engraved as per original engraving B.S.G. APR 1933 an attempt to get as close as possible to original.

Plan to either Teflon them or paint with Slip Plate after the work is done. I would like to keep them dry as with grease they tend to gather grit and wear.

It was interesting to me that each of the leaves was engraved with the above.

Kindly,

Brian W Sullivan

Onno

Netherlands
1060 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2017 :  18:27:16  Show Profile
Why not engrave them with the same text but the year 2017.
That way the next owner has no doubt about originality and you are as close to it as you can be

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2017 :  18:36:12  Show Profile
The original marking is not engraving but stamping, probably done hot before the springs were formed and tempered. Engraving may well look a bit artificial, however well done.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2017 :  18:41:34  Show Profile
Morning Brian,

My Morris McEvoy Special springs were also forged in April 1933, but by William Cary. Perhaps B.S.G. refers to Richard Berry and Son?

Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2017 :  18:49:08  Show Profile
Belay that - it is the British Springs Group. Just found this post by John James back in 2012:

"The original supplier of J2 springs was BSG (British Springs Group) of Brignorth, Shropshire. The ends of each leaf were properly tapered.

'Berry' i.e. Brockhouse Berry of Manchester must have arrived on the scene later. They were the original supplier of springs for the TC.

Regarding lubrication, you need to coat between each leaf with a mixture of graphite and silicon grease or waxoil; The graphite lubricates the springs, whilst the silicon grease/waxoil prevents water washing away the graphite mixture.

A horribly messy job, but well worth doing."

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5659

I notice your new springs have square ends, whereas all of the original MG and Morris springs were tapered. You might consider tapering the leaves on your new springs if originality is uppermost in your mind?

Edited by - Ian Grace on 22/08/2017 18:51:01
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3115 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2017 :  19:31:43  Show Profile
1930's Teflon? Sticking at nothing for originality?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2017 :  19:37:51  Show Profile
I'm just doing some springs for a TA Tickford and through research on this forum, found the recommendation for MolySlip OGL (open gear lube) as a lubricant. I can only find the spray in the US, not the tub, but it is reputed to be resistant to washing away and quite slippery.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2017 :  21:48:38  Show Profile
I wonder when we use replacement parts on our cars should all of them be marked? What about marked replacement Lucas badges, and other parts. I see some have altered replacements to include new information as to originality.
Re lubricant. The machine shop near me has been making parts for Morgan with engraving. The new springs he has done have been Teflon coated. I was advised by the high level restoration shop near me to use a product named Slip Plate. They do this on every car they restore.
Ian ,
Yes I intend to clip the corners on all the square ended springs as per original.
And perhaps even add 2017 engraving.

Kindly

Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2017 :  21:57:30  Show Profile
Oh
Yes the originals were certainly pressed into the hot steel. There is no way I would heat the spring steel and do this though. So best aproach I thought was engraving as opposed to etching or sand blasting the marks.

Kindly.

Brian W Sullivan

Edited by - sullivan on 22/08/2017 21:58:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000