Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Triple-M publication history
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  09:40:22  Show Profile
Hi All,

Looking for the history of the following 3 Triple-M publications:
1. The Triple-M Register
2. Triple-M-Register Bulletin
3. Triple M Register Year Book

For each of the 3 publications outlined above:
a. The Triple-M Register - When did these commence and when did they end?
b. Triple-M-Register Bulletin - When did these commence and when did they end?
c. Triple M Register Year Book - When did these commence?

Thanks!

Peter
Johannesburg, RSA

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  09:49:25  Show Profile
Hi Peter
1. The printed register of cars would have commenced at or immediately after the foundation of the Register in 1961
2. The Bulletin took over from the previous Infoletter. Not sure of the dates, but others will know.
3. The Yearbook has been around for many a day. My old copies are tucked away 'somewhere safe' (I wonder where?!) - again, others will know.

Our library at http://www.triple-mshop.org/products-page/yearbooks-and-register/ and http://www.triple-mshop.org/products-page/yearbooks-and-register/back-issues/ gives details of availability of what is left in stock.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 02/09/2017 09:50:27
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  12:51:46  Show Profile
Peter,

Interesting questions!

Your photograph shows the very first Year Book and I was the Editor. Interestingly, Mike Allison's secretarial contribution starts "Here is the first edition of the MMM Annual" and its aim was "to bridge the gap between the old style Bulletin and 'Safety Fast'". Further on he says "The literary part of our functions will be dealt with as usual by the new and successful 'Infoletter', Safety Fast and the 'Year Book'.

In my Editorial I also used the word 'Annual', and said "it will be issued free to all current Register members who have paid their subscriptions, and also to all new members. Additional copies can be bought for 2/6, including postage"...well it was nearly 50 years ago, and both the value of money and the Register Articles (over to Dick) have changed! No doubt the Minutes will record when we started to charge for the Year Book and also release it for general sale.

John R
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  12:59:21  Show Profile
Thanks Dick,

The first publication namely "The Triple-M Register" is not a register of cars but a series of general Triple-M articles akin to the "Triple-M-Register Bulletin" that precedes that publication by date.

I should have reversed their order as the 'Triple-M-Register Bulletin' came first followed later by the 'The Triple-M Register' publication.

Peter
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  13:03:49  Show Profile
Thanks John,
Yes, the paragraphs you quote were intersting to read in my copies.
Ok, so we have established that the first Yearbook was 1970!
Would love to know the history of the remaining two.

Peter
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  17:25:42  Show Profile
Peter,

the earliest MMM Infoletter I got is No. 4 from April 1970.
So No.1 could have started about half a year before, as it came every two months.
The first 40 were printed on loose A4 sheets, from No. 41 on, it was a A5 booklet with covers."
There is also a summary existing about the "Extracts" from No.1 to No.13.

The last MMM Infoletter was No.145 from February 2001

Then in April 2001 came the first Triple-M Register Bulletin, now with a different colored picture on each front cover also in A5 format, and we all are grateful, that until today always somebody loaded the task on his shoulder to edit it !

Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  20:40:21  Show Profile
Hi Peter,
I have somewhere! in my stuff a full listing of MMM comics....... Having edited most of them in the past I did with the help of Mike Hawke generate a full list of them.... and the missing numbers or even two with the same issue number! ... we were all very much involved with using and maintaining our cars so that sometimes our journalistic efforts had mistakes. I also did a full listing of the Safety Fast! issues... that was not simple either.... during the "three day week" period things were much reduced.
So don't hold your breath but I will find it.... and perhaps get Digby to put it into the current Bulletin.. which is far superior to my efforts last century.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  21:23:10  Show Profile
Here are a few more pieces in the Triple-M publications jigsaw.

In September 1963 there was the first issue of Triple-M News. The introduction by Irving Bramson says:
"Here is the first edition of Triple-M News. This is to contain little more than the essentials; cars for sale and wanted, spares, competition results, important notices etc. The reasons for the change were outlined in the last monthly Bulletin".

The monthly versions of The Bulletin look like Peter's middle photo. The earliest I have is No.5, September 1962. So I guess the first issue is likely to have been May 1962.

The Bulletin referred to in Triple-M News was No.14 in August 1963. Irving Bramson, the Editor, says
"This will be the last issue of the Bulletin in its present form. Henceforth, the Bulletin will be a quarterly production and will perhaps be somewhat more elaborate. In place of the monthly Bulletin members will receive a newsletter..."

The first edition of the quarterly Bulletin had the same cover as Peter's first photo. I have a copy but the date box on the cover is empty so can only assume it was completed late 1963/early 1964. Irving Bramson starts his editorial with: "This is it! The quarterly Bulletin of the Triple-M Register. Let's hope it was worth waiting for."

Infoletter No.1, called "New Series", was issued in 1969. The heading was "News Sheet October 1969". The Introduction was by Philip Bayne-Powell who says:
"Welcome to the "Infoletter". This, we hope, will help to fill the gap left by the loss of our MMM Bulletin."

I hope this makes some sense - reading it through I think I need a glass of wine!

John R
PS I wrote the above before seeing Barry's post - so look forward to getting the full story.

Edited by - John Reid on 02/09/2017 21:26:58
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  11:57:34  Show Profile
I have a number of very early Registers. No fancy covers, just typed foolscap sized sheets headed "The Triple M Register". The earliest (undated) runs to 7 sheets and is possibly from the end of 1961. The second (also undated) runs to 11 sheets and could well be from the end of 1962. Helpfully the third edition (again 11 sheets) states that it is correct as at 25th April 1963. By this time, whoever was cutting a new stencil each time was beginning to get a bit bored with it, and in July 1963 Amendment Sheet number 1 was issued (5 pages) followed by Amendment Sheet 2 dated February 1964 (3 pages). Next, another full Register appeared running to 19 sheets and stated to be correct as at 24th November 1964. Finally, another full Register was issued on the 12th August 1965. I had intended passing these documents to whichever Committee Member is responsible for the safekeeping of archived material, but I will need a cast-iron guarantee that I won't fall foul of the Data Protection Police. All of these sheets carry full postal addresses of every Car Owner Listed. Happy carefree old days !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  20:09:20  Show Profile
John is correct, the first MMM Register Bulletin was issued in May 1962 & produced by Mike Allison. His opening words hold true as much today as they did then:

"What do you want from the bulletin? No 1 is obviously limited in appeal, being written by the sub-committee. In future, what about some ideas from you? Let me have ideas and, especially articles for inclusion in future editions - humorous, technical, what have you? It's your "mag" - what do you want to read?".

For issue No 2 Irving Bramson took up the reins due to Mikes work committments, there are bits of painfull hilarity - like Irving's friend going to look at a C Type & not buying it because his girlfriend couldn't fit in it! Ouch....

Like Colin I have some early registers, just typed sheets that Mike Allison sent out with a covering letter. My first is just 5 pages & the second (7 pages like Colin's) is hand dated "to 30/06/62". By May 63, poor old Mike is getting frustrated, telling members that "After all the hopes that we could produce a register of cars by the middle of this year, all I can offer is another temporary one, with the the hope that all likely cars will be registered by the end of this year" Though he did add -"although with present trends there is no justified reason for this". Poor Mike - talk about opening the flood gates!

"When the Register was first started we thought that some 200 cars at the outside would be found, and that this number would eventually dwindle to around 150, as the cars became subject to Mr Marples Law" (presumably he was the Minister who introduces MOTs? - JH).

As to Register badges - thank the early members for their taste in choosing the one they did: There were three alternatives to vote for & one was made from that new-fangled material perspex!

Two gems I'll keep to myself (for now) are the article by a gent who had aquired the ideal MMM girlfriend (one who could confidently tell Mike A the differences between J2 & J3 - other than just the blower) - I wonder if he married her? and a write up of the first ever MMM Silverstone race by the legend that is SWD.

JH

Edited by - JMH on 16/12/2017 20:12:17
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2017 :  12:10:24  Show Profile
Sorry... still not found my listing... will look in the loft when I heave out the Christmas decorations.......
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Peter Frost

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2017 :  16:56:00  Show Profile
September 67 Triple M & Vintage Bulletin - Combined Issue.
Editor of the time resolves the numbering system.

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2017 :  18:54:49  Show Profile
Ah! I knew I'd seen that somewhere;

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2017 :  16:22:51  Show Profile
I have no recollection at all of the remarks alleged to have been made by me in the September 1967 Bulletin about sundry people having too much to say for themselves, and I would hasten to suggest that it is an early example of "fake news".

Also, that wonderful poem "Just Belong" is so pertinent in today's forum offerings.

Colin B. (Me flippant? Never.)
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2017 :  18:11:14  Show Profile
Absolutely Colin. I thought I'd say nothing.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2017 :  20:42:28  Show Profile
Browsing the reprint of the Sept. 67 Bulletin I noticed that page 43 was part of an article I wrote on getting my ex-Lund PB to Silverstone , passing scrutineering etc. What a surprise !.. Happy days .
Thankfully , l & some other guys named are still around & still enjoying our Triple -M cars.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000