Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 1930 M type front apron wanted
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SV4670

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  11:23:08  Show Profile
I am looking for a front apron for my M type. The pressed metal part at the front of the car below the radiator that covers the chassis rails. Does anyone have one they are prepared to part with? Even a detailed dimensioned drawing would be a help if I can't find an original.

Thanks

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  09:44:46  Show Profile
Derek,

There are various types, depending on the age of the car. 6 louvres on earlier cars, 8 on later. Some later cars had the horn underneath with a chrome grille between the louvres.

I'm not sure if you know, but Steve Gilbert makes them. I have just bought one from him off-the-shelf. Unless you are intentionally avoiding trade suppliers, he is always the place to start for MMM metalwork.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
712 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  12:02:39  Show Profile
Malcolm, I think Derek is talking about the oblong plate that sits beneath the radiator and to which the catches that attach the louvred section are attached to.
Derek, I cannot get to my garage at the moment but will post pictures and dimensions as soon as I can. It should be fairly easy to make yourself or have any sheet metal worker make if you feel it is beyond you. In the meantime I have posted a picture that I have used on the Forum before.
Keith

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  12:06:04  Show Profile
Thanks Keith,

You may be right but "pressed metal"?

I thought you would have used that shot of Angela Merkel as a pin-up on your garage wall!

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  11:38:08  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies. It is a six louver panel that was the subject of the request however I do also need the rectangular panel shown in the picture above. The latter I can make myself - if someone would be kind enough to measure it up and let me have the dimensions.
Steve Gilbert; could someone let me have his contact details please? I searched the forum but did not find anything.
Thanks for the help
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  12:56:27  Show Profile
He's in the 'Suppliers' forum under Metalwork, though he could do with being under Bodywork too (Nick, can you arrange that?). The details given are for home contact but you can email him at sjgilbert@hotmail.co.uk .

His workshop is at Unit 1, Devil's Lane, Egham so quite convenient if you are passing nearby on the M25, M3 or M4. He prefers it if you call before visiting: 01784 466488

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  13:07:53  Show Profile
The flat under-panel that came with my car is definitely home-made by a previous owner and is 21 7/8" by 5 1/2". However, it looks as though the one in Keith's picture has a longer side dimension. With a cardboard template you should be able to work out the cut-outs and holes so they are "tailor-made" for your chassis.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  10:52:11  Show Profile
Brilliant, thank you for the advice
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly