Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type trafficators - SF28
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  19:42:13  Show Profile
Managed to find a LUCAS NOS boxed set of SF28 trafficators for my P Type a few years back, however, they are 6 Volt units but the car is 12 Volt.

Can I use them as they are, failing which, what do I need to do to make them work on a 12 Volt system without damaging any of the electrics etc?

Thanks.

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  21:30:11  Show Profile
if you find another pair, i'd love some sf28's. not sur e, but wouldnt putting a 6v lamp in series with it soak up the spare 6V's? I have used this method on other stuff thats valueless no problems.
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  23:20:01  Show Profile
I am sure that the number wanting SF 28s are in the dozens, anyone have a source? I would love a set. As to the 6volt issue, would not the 12volts fry the solenoid?

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  00:11:53  Show Profile
Try Charles Tobin at the River Carriage Shop outside Cleveland, Ohio, USA. He claims to have lots of trafficators available, although when I asked, he didn't have any SF28s. He does restoration of trafficators, as well.

I don't have an email or web address for him, but his (US) toll free number is 1-800-950-0561. Sorry, I don't know the direct dial number.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  09:55:27  Show Profile
Bryan Purves http://www.bryanpurves.co.uk/ had some prototype castings at Silverstone about 5 years ago, and many of us expressed interest. I suspect that production never took off and Bryan seems to do mostly trimming work these days.

Others report that Davies & Owen (Greg Davies) of West Sussex may be able to help - but I do not have contact details.

In the meantime I've fitted flashing indicators to my PA using bits supplied by SVC.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743

Edited by - DickMorbey on 19/07/2007 11:34:17
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  13:14:12  Show Profile
Peter

There is a modern equivalent of Paul's solution. This is a very simple electronic circuit which restricts the effective current flowing through the 6v device. I built such a circuit for my sons 6v windscreen wiper motor for his VW Splitty. See the attached link http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Lane/1970/wiper1.html. It has been extensively tested over the past several weeks and has worked very well. The benefit is that it consumes less current than the resistor solution and consequently generates less heat.

You would of course need some electronics expert to define what values you need to use in the circuit for the current taken by your semaphore indicators. But we do have some such experts who contribute to this forum.

The necessary parts can be readily sourced from Maplins at very low cost. They also sell heat sinks which you may find more appropriate than aluminium angle.

Peter

Edited by - Peter Scott on 19/07/2007 15:51:34
Go to Top of Page

FrankAshleymgm

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  16:15:07  Show Profile
Ian Harris sells reconditioned trafficators with 12 month warrenty. Contact him at ian@harris84.fsnet.co.uk

Frank Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  18:17:14  Show Profile
Hi,

General chit ûchat

1 The original trafficators had a built in design fault, in that they bend when operated above 30 mph!...... That is why they are in short supply as LUCAS replaced them with a thicker arm design. I would not recommend their use for normal driving as nobody sees them no days and you have to steer with one hand and need a third hand to change gear!

2 If you intend to have very original trafficators which are the just for show? If so, the OCCATIONAL operation for a concourse judge the 6 volt units will not matter it you use the original hold while you signal push button.

3 I have rewound numerous trafficators. It takes patience and an evening to do one unit and you end up with a grove in your finger nail! Years ago I worked out the ampere turns needed. As a rough guideā.. unwind the coil and measure the SWG (Standard wire gauge) of the copper wire. Buy some enamelled copper wire of half the cross sectional area of the wire used on the 6 volt unit. Rewind on the coil former very neatly the replacement thinner enamelled copper wire, until you cannot get any more on the former. Note to terminate the ends you must scrape off the enamel of the wire otherwise it will not solder. Test with a good 12 volt battery. If the arm rises slowly contact me off line and I will tell you how to get over the problem.

4 Greg Davis does occasionally have these as I have obtained 3 sets for my cars. Also Available Austins made some arms and the orange covers.

5 The trafficator units fit into special boxes which have a terminal block for connections and fitting the unit within the body. These boxes have holes which the trafficator unit fit into and to operate the release mechanism to release the arm manually. These boxes are more important on an N type as they are more awkward to fit than on a P type. I could e mail pictures of this box or Nick could contact me and put up on the web site if there was demand?

Hope this helpsā.. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  19:17:34  Show Profile
Thanks to all for some very informative advice and varying solutions - I believe I now have all what I need to sort my problem.

Thanks again.

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
881 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  20:16:39  Show Profile
The trafficators for my ND also have been rebuild
and converted to flashing light by Greg Davies.
His phone(evenings)was 0044-1444-241001
He lived some miles north of Brighton.
My last contact was about 7 years ago,
and I hope he is still doing the job.
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000