Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA0817 Restoration and Launch in New Zealand
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  09:22:26  Show Profile
After a period of about 50 years off the road and in various stages of repair/disrepair, I am delighted to report on the following event held last Sunday.

The second gathering of a group of about 20 Triple-Mers from the upper North Island of New Zealand, was held on Sunday the 26th November, 2017 on the auspicious occasion of the 'launch' of Greg Martin's cycle wing 1934 MG PA car no. 0817. Greg has worked hard on the car and brought together quite a few local engineers and craftspeople, as well as from overseas to help complete the task. The 20 year restoration has been accelerated by Greg with his concentrated 'stellar' effort particularly during the last two years.
Starting with a delicious morning tea on arrival (thanks Sue and helpers), then a look over the car and to experience the ‘official’ start up. We then moved inside where Greg gave a thorough photo-presentation of the restoration process, followed by a brief drive in a sort of convoy, to the Hamilton Classics Car Museum for lunch and discussions. Lunch in the Rock'n'Roll ‘Jukebox’ diner was overseen by a statue of Elvis, followed by a move upstairs to the meeting room overlooking the car museum. We discussed the NZ Triple-M Register, and proposed workings of our group. The detailed register put together by Geoff Broadhead presented by Geoff, captures the 83 Triple-Ms known to exist in NZ, with another 10 more believed to be lurking and remaining to be rediscovered. The focus of the register is as much on the history and provenance of the cars, as it is the physical cars themselves. Then in to the car museum. Some wonderful cars, their current major restoration project is a Bugatti 57C, and we hope, to be followed by a yet to be discovered Triple-M MG. I think an L1 Continental Coupe or P or N Airline Coupe would be perfect, as Greg's car is not available and will be, we anticipate, busy touring the country for quite few years to come.

Link for the startup on Youtube, in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evX1A60GbRc

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  09:51:58  Show Profile
Nice to see an MG Y-Type at the gathering too... fewer of those in NZ than MMM cars.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  10:06:30  Show Profile
That's great - nice looking car, was that the first start up? (on the utube clip)

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  10:35:17  Show Profile
A heartwarming story and a salutary reminder of what we are all about.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  11:06:46  Show Profile
Well done from me - as Dick notes this is what we are all about.

I also noted the YA, I used to own a YB in the same colour - autumn red. It was a really nice little car to drive.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 27/11/2017 11:07:26
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  04:08:17  Show Profile
Thanks feedback and comments.
First public start-up I believe, yet to go on the road. Not too far away though.
Donald
PB0759
(cameraperson)
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  17:36:21  Show Profile
Many congratulations from the silent Pom majority!

MSH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000