Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Information about my J2 - J 2013 Reg O J 9021
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thompson

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  22:27:14  Show Profile
Hello,

I am always amazed at the resourcefulness of the people on this forum.

So I wondered whether anyone here knows anything about my car? An MG J2 - J 2013 Registered OJ 9021

I have an old buff logbook and wondered if anyone out there knew/know these people or even better has any old photos...?

According to the logbook the car was owned -

In 1949 - Howard Allsopp of Wytham Essex

In 1959 Dennis Eaton of Wytham Essex

In1967 Colin Kleboe of Ashtead Surrey

in 1973 Nigel Scott of Salisbury Wiltshire and then Gillingham Dorset

In 2001 Colin Humphreys Barnstaple Devon

I have spoken to Colin who restored the car but apart from that the trail has gone cold....

Thanks in advance.....

Tom

Edited by - thompson on 16/12/2017 22:55:35

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2017 :  10:34:24  Show Profile
Tom. You probably know this already, but in case you don't I can tell you that your car was supplied new by Fred Sturgess Ltd of Ardwick to Harry Radford. I say "new" but in fact your car had been used as a demonstrator so probably was well worn by that time. It was the first J2 to be fitted with semi down-draught S.U.s which apparently was done to assist access to the sparking plugs. All this valuable information is obtained from Mike Hawke's book "75 Years of the J2 M.G."

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2017 :  10:38:38  Show Profile
Hello Tom,

We have your car listed as J2013
Registered 8/Sept/1932
First owner P.J.Evans Ltd. Birmingham: Demo car
Orig colour red with red trim
According to Thornfalcon cars on 18/9/2016 the car had had 4 owners from new. Did you buy the car through them?

Register records show these former owners:
H Radford (1st owner), C Kleboe, Nigel A Scott from 1973 - ?

Seems that you may have more info in your records than the Register possesses, but I suggest you contact our J2 Registrar, John Emmett at john.r.emmett@btinternet.com He holds the Register's paper records which may reveal more and in any case he would be very glad to hear from you.

We have a register update form which can be downloaded at http://www.triple-mregister.org/images/Form.pdf which again John would be happy to receive.

One way or another I expect that we can add to the mutual knowledge of your car!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

thompson

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2017 :  10:49:50  Show Profile
Thank you Dick,

I did not realise that it was a 1932 car. As on the buff logbook it says it was registered in April 1933.

The buff logbook begins in 1948. So there is a gap of 16 years that is not accounted for?

I wonder what happened to the original log book from new? Were they just discarded by the post office once they had been filled up or would there have been a central 'DVLA" that would have held all the records from a car from new...?

Through google I have managed to find an address for a Colin Kleboe. Born in 1944 and had the the car in 1967. I will write to him as i have an address but it is a bit of a long shot....
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2017 :  13:32:57  Show Profile
To add to what Colin has provided, this is from the J2 records of MBH:

11/33 - Kenneth Spooner, Birmingham.
9/36 - W G Cunningham, Camelford.
10/26 - J P Meadows, Bicester.
12/36 - F P Meadows, Headington.
03/37 - F W Meadows, Cainscross.
Then C Kleboe, with a question mark as to the date.

It returned to the factory in 01/33 to have the later semi-downdraught carbs fitted.

JH
Go to Top of Page

thompson

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2017 :  14:02:14  Show Profile
Thanks very much for this....I know that Nigel Anthony Scott had the car from 1973 to 2001 so I'm wondering if anyone knows him or has contact details....?

Looks like the car has had more than the 4 owners Thornfalcon Classics who sold me the car told me...!
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2017 :  14:34:12  Show Profile
I have a vague idea that Kleboe may have bought the car from the Meadows family, so if you class the family as "one", "four owners from new" is plausible.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2017 :  11:12:27  Show Profile
Blimey Tom. You now know more about your J2 than I know about my two MMM cars which I have owned for years and years.

Best of luck,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

thompson

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2017 :  12:26:49  Show Profile
I am a bit of a sucker for the history of cars and old photos....!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000