Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Tool-roll and traditional craft methods
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2017 :  02:04:50  Show Profile
Heading towards the end of the year looking towards making a few more parts in the New Year, and getting the tool-roll remake underway applying some traditional crafts and materials to make a few. I am most interested to hear from anyone who has worked with the following materials and crafts.
Leather cloth edging trim - thank you Whirlwind for finding some ex Morris Minor parcel trays
Vegetable dying - would this have been onion skin for the red-brown?
Leather tanning
Buckle making
Attached is this year's tool collection heading for a 'concours' PB kit, roll dimensions re-measured from an original. Original tools getting very hard to find (anyone else had some good fortune?), and finally, a lovely 10" boxwood screwdriver. The head spanner is the early engine model 1/4W used on M and F models. The single ended box spanners finally tracked down and superb prototype remakes made by a colleague in Australia.

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2017 :  08:04:27  Show Profile
Donald

Just to pick up a couple of points. By the 1930's dyeing had moved entirely to synthetic dyes. True the range of dyes and range of colours were more limited than now, but the acid dyes (they use vinegar to fix the dye) which are available from craft suppliers would have been used then.

It is possible that leather tanned with oak bark will give the colour you require, there are still traditional tanners who do this work.

The leather starts brown so very little additional colour (red?) would be required. The leather has to be heated to 80degC for the dye to fix to the material.

Hopefully these help to create more of your fine replicas (if I can use that word in this company!)

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2017 :  08:33:25  Show Profile
Thanks Ian.
I'll stick with synthetic dyes for that part.
Possibly the term to describe the remakes I do is 'reproductions with integrity'. The definition of 'integrity' then becomes the key question. This would lie I suggest somewhere in the range, perhaps more towards the top end I would hope, between 'complete cowboy' to 'incredibly pedantic'. Synonym for the parts produced by 'incredibly pedantic' would be for example, an 'exact copy'.
Donald McLeod
PB0759
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000