Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Seeking Ivan Custerson
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  12:41:38  Show Profile
Recently carrying out some research on RA0253 for our Triple-M friends in New Zealand I came across the following statement in one of Pete Stevens letters to me dated 16/8/1958. Pete by the way was the owner of 0253 and was on a 2 year course at RAF Henlow in Bedfordshire.

His letter states -

"met a character - Ivan Custerson the other day - has owned 11 MGs including Q & R types. He had the R in about 1935 and sold it up-north to someone in Yorkshire. Can't remember which one it was or to whom he sold it"

My first surprise is the name Ivan Custerson having such an illustrious MG history does not appear in the book Hawke history of MG Competition Cars nor in the Register Database.

So assuming the above facts are correct maybe he was a salesman for a Dealer and "owned" was a slight exaggeration.
Can anyone throw any light on this character as It may help in filling in some history blanks.

The only R Type his comment could apply to is 0259. The car was advertised for sale by Baird in October 1935 subsequently being purchased by J N C Watson in early 1937. Baird was still racing it in June 1936. Watson was I believe a member of the Yorkshire Sports Car Club competing in their Wetherby Speed Events.

Any clues, suggestions, contacts much appreciated.

Bob Milton

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  10:55:49  Show Profile
Bob. I came across the name Ivan Custerson a few years ago in connection with the alleged ownership of Q Types, but I could find no reference to him whatsoever. I also tried Custerton or Costerton but again, no luck,

In connection with J N C Watson, have you thought of trying the Ilkley and District Motor Club. I few years ago I bought a book called "So This Is Yorkshire" compiled by Janet E Kitching of the Ilkley Club. It is a splendid work covering many aspects of motor sport in Yorkshire between 1910 and 1939 and if anyone is likely to know about Mr Watson, I think Janet would. I can supply her contact details of you think it is worth following up.

Colin B..
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  11:31:02  Show Profile
Thanks Colin, How strange that a person with such apparent connections to Q & R types has evaded us!!

Yes would love contact details of Janet Kitching as she may be able to confirm details of both Watson and the subsequent owner of RA0259, Wilson who was based near Harrogate

Bob
Go to Top of Page

CrashBox

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  18:24:22  Show Profile
I found an Ivan Custerson in Kingston, Cambridgeshire (b1886) which is only around 20 miles from the old RAF Henlow. On further checking of records, I think this particular person died in 1906 aged 20.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  11:07:59  Show Profile
Bob, The address for Janet Kitching is "Ilkley & District Motor Club Ltd, 11 Parkfield, Menston, Ilkley, West Yorkshire, LS29 6LP.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  11:52:49  Show Profile
Thank you Colin I will write to Janet Kitching re. Watson.

Thank you Jonathen for the lead on Custerson as you say Henlow is quite near Kingston, Cambridge and as it happens I also found the Custerson born in 1886 but nothing further on his death or address where did you obtain this info.? Of course if the death date you state of 1906 is correct then this is not our man but could well lead us to the correct one. Living in Bury St. Edmunds not far from Cambridge I will try the Cambridge Records Office for Cenus and Electorate Rolls etc.

Once again my thanks to you both and again a demonstration of the knowledge in this Forum.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

CrashBox

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  14:10:18  Show Profile
I found the information on Ancestry. The name is down as Ivon, rather than Ivan. Now here's a slightly weird turn of events. I'd thought I'd try Genes Reunited to see whether he turns up on there. He does... and one of the three people who have him listed on their family tree is in my contacts, so I'm just having a look at his tree.....

So this particular Ivon Custerson was resident in Chequers, Field Road, Kingston, Cambridgeshire in the 1901 census with his parents, who were there before the 1871 census and are recorded on each one until at least 1901.

I'd definitely check out whether or not the information regarding the 1906 death is correct. It might well be wrong and this is the chap you're looking for.

Edited by - CrashBox on 03/02/2018 14:22:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000