Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Substantial Change of Historic Vehicles
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6127 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  17:01:22  Show Profile
The Department for Transport has just issued its guidance on substantial change of historic vehicles for MOT exemption purposes and the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs has posted some general information on this together with a link to the DfT Guidance Note - see http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/about-us/news/_article/125/government-publishes-definition-of-vehicle-of-historic-interest/

Simon J
J3437

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  17:23:06  Show Profile
Thanks Simon,

Should we presume from this that 'classic' vehicles or whatever we are currently known as, will remain exempt from testing? And that the new announcement will bring in, additionally, cars that are henceforth declared to be VHIs?

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

PS
Ah, I may have answered my own question, because the announcement refers to 'Guidance on Substantial Change of Historic Vehicles....' and the HMG guidance also states that 'Most vehicles manufactured or first registered over 40 years ago will, as of 20 May 2018, be exempt from periodic testing unless they have been substantially changed' - so it would appear that our cars are considered to be Vs of HI, - and owners must reaffirm that status when they apply to tax the vehicle.

Edited by - DickMorbey on 03/02/2018 17:32:52
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  08:31:32  Show Profile
Dick
Quote from the D of T quidance
"Keepers of VHIs claiming an exemption from the MoT test should make a declaration
when renewing their vehicle tax. The responsibility to ensure the declared vehicle is
a VHI and meets the criteria, rests with the vehicle keeper as part of their due
diligence. If a vehicle keeper is not sure of the status of a vehicle, they can consult
a marque or historic vehicles expert, a list of whom will be available on the website of
the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs. "

I have, at the MGCC Chairman's request, contacted the FBHVC to offer the services of the MGCC Registers as "marque or historic vehicle experts". Their reply stated this was a complex issue that they didn't expect to start working on until about now and that they would make contact in due course.

George

Edited by - George Wilder on 04/02/2018 08:32:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000