Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Engine noise problem - M type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonym

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2007 :  23:39:35  Show Profile
Engine experts out there - advice or pontifications required.
My engine has suddenly become quite noisy - appears to be from the front end. Turning the starting handle produces a "click" apparently from the camshaft - at the same time there appears to be movement between the gears at the front of the cam. The flexible coupling is quite secure.
Engine bottom end has not been touched since about 1968 and the head since about 1990 when new cam and rockers etc fitted. Oil pressure a good 60lb when hot. Car is well used - 34000 miles since 1967 including recent trip to the USA and Luxembourg.
Any tips/pointers to cause of problem greatfully received.

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2007 :  08:04:28  Show Profile
I would remove the dynamo and see if the bevel gear is loose at the bottom, the retaining bolt may have started to unwind. If that is secure at least you have eliminated possible costly damage to the crankshaft.

Whilst the dynamo is out turn the cam shaft by rotating it back and forth from the vertical drive pinion to fork end nut using a ratchet and socket. It could be the fork is loose on the pinion as the mating area is parallel unlike the P type etc which is tapered. The woodruff key is then taking the torque and could be worn.

Lastly if nothing found remove the cam shaft and see if the bevel washers have broken behind the bevel gear.

You could start with the easiest task first but I would not run the engine having covered that sort of mileage without checking all of the above.

My M type engine reached a similar mileage when I had front end noise. On stripping it down the crank had broken just behind No 1 journal but because the separation was like a dog clutch it would still run albeit a little noisey!

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000