Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Looking for a starter ring gear for my PA/PB
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gerard van der veen

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2018 :  20:58:05  Show Profile
Hello MMM,
I am looking for a (replacement) starter ring gear for my PA/PB. Mine are worn at the two usual spots. I know, I have to adapt the flywheel myself.
Does any of the forum members has one, lying around, of a cancelled project?
Kind regards,
Gerard.

gerard van der veen

Dave1066

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2018 :  08:32:15  Show Profile
Hi Gerard,

I might have a spare flywheel with starter ring attached. When I got my PA last year it was in boxes of bits if you can give me the OD and thickness I will see if this is similar, if it is I will post you some pictures.

Regards Dave W

D walsh
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2018 :  10:18:04  Show Profile
Gerard. Have you tried S&V ? Ring gears for all models are on their list.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2018 :  17:29:17  Show Profile
Of course you realize that the PA/PB ring gears were cast in as an integral part of the flywheel and must be machined off. Be sure you know the exact inner diameter of the ring gear so you know how much to machine off the flywheel. There was, as I remember, some issue of the location of the bolt holes in relation to the new ring gear, but I don't remember the exact details.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2018 :  18:22:25  Show Profile
Can you not just rotate the flywheel 90deg on its mount, sure it was suggested to me in the past.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2018 :  18:22:48  Show Profile

As far as I understand, you can turn the flywheel (180 degrees?)and then re-mark the
TDC and IGN markings.

The flywheels always stop at the same spot each time. Hence the wear. Methinks.

Comments??

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2018 :  18:41:27  Show Profile
It depends upon where the wear is and how bad. Mine on PA1169 was pretty well chewed up all the way around and was badly rusted besides.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2018 :  20:47:43  Show Profile
Brian,

I think it is 90 degrees, not 180 degrees, that you have to move the flywheel around.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2018 :  01:12:16  Show Profile

Hello, Gerard.

You could reclaim your flywheel by welding the worn gear teeth and then reprofile accordingly. I have successfully carried out this work in the past when I have been unable to find a replacement.

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2018 :  02:27:30  Show Profile
Here is what you need. Contact me if you are interested in it.
Gary

Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2018 :  15:32:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Green

Brian,

I think it is 90 degrees, not 180 degrees, that you have to move the flywheel around.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I must have got turned around..............

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

gerard van der veen

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2018 :  00:20:41  Show Profile
Hi all, thank you for your response!; the two warn parts are the two times 'nearing' the TDC's of either cylinder 1&4 and 2&3;
- option 1 Dave; replacement with another one; the outside diameter is roughly 270 mm, width/depth of the teeth are 15mm on the wheel; how are the teeth on your flywheel?
- option 2 Colin; just received yesterday a mail from them, they have one for £95.
- option 3 Rich/Brian/Lew & Peter; yes with an eight bolt flange/end bearing bolted, turning it a quarter circle (90 degrees/2 bolts) would work. But the teeth are quite worn (75% gone); my intention is to really keep the PA for quite some time & being an engineer; full replacement!
- option 4 Chris; Welding & and remaking the teeth is an option; but literally I am just (gone through my mail and it is 24.00hrs UK midnight time) offered a new ring for £60, admittedly I haven't asked here (in UK) a machine workshop, but I wouldn't be surprised as it would be more expensive, but will ask around,
-option 5; your ring Gary; I counted 84 teeth on mine (but 83 would be fine if all other dimensions are similar), outside diameter 270mm (with a ruler measurement, due to the flange in its way!), on your picture I see you paid $90 dollars for yours, sending it over (P&P + import & VAT & handling costs); what are your dimensions & price (can mail me if you prefer).

Thank you and really appreciated; hope my lathe will 'accept' its duty as it is a rather 'small' one.
To be continued.
Night, night Gerard.

gerard van der veen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000