Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 What to look for ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NickPoll

France
43 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  06:52:22  Show Profile
Tomorrow I'm going to view the two tone blue PA that was on Ebay last week. Are there any weak points I should look for ? Are the chassis prone to rusting ? Special places where the bodies crack etc. Any advice would be much appreciated.

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  08:26:01  Show Profile
Nick

Rebuilding these cars is an expensive business with the engine being the most costly. Ask what has been done to the engine and by whom. If one of the regular people built the engine that would be good, the head needs particular knowledge and skill. I think those who rebuild MMM engines are listed in the services section on this website; anyway ask what has been done and ask here whether people think it sounds sensible. The chassis and axles are difficult to check because the body sits on top but a look underneath exposes most things. Check particularly the rear end of the main leaf of each spring, if there is wear it will give an indication of how thorough the last rebuild was, a little wear is usual, a lot is bad. If the brakes work, if the car steers well and if the engine pulls well then the car is probably ok but if you are not experienced with these cars take with you someone who is. the good thing is that everything is easy to put right, it might just mean takjng heverything to bits to do it! But for many that is the pleasure! And has it been properly maintained: has it been recently lubricated? This should be evident by the presence of oil on che chassis, steering box etc and grease around the spring trunnions. By jacking the car up you can check how much play there is in the brakes, kingpins and steering. The other "difficult" place is the front of the rear springs. Wear here might require the body to be taken off if it is the spring pin that is worn.

Finally, there have been posts here about a P Type that appeared to be sagging in the middle, I gather the body mounts were back to front. A careful look should expose that. Take lots of photos to illustrate any questions you might have.

Even a bad car becomes a good one in the right hands, but obviously you want to start off with the best you can. Good luck with it.

P
Go to Top of Page

NickPoll

France
43 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  08:51:14  Show Profile
Thank you food the detailed reply. I'll view it properly tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  09:29:30  Show Profile
If you are able to post the eBay photos it may help
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  07:58:02  Show Profile
Nick,

I'll e-mail you off line.

A few years ago Phil Bayne-Powell wrote a piece about buying and owning a Triple-M car which was publishes in instalments in the MGCC Club mag Safety Fast which may help.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  12:10:49  Show Profile
Dick, the Philip Bayne-Powell article sounds like a good candidate for the Document Downloads section, if copies can be obtained.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  14:24:30  Show Profile
Should Colin's suggestion be taken up I have all, both 4 & 6 cylinder parts, of Philip's series scanned and ready to send.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000