Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Where are they now??
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  15:57:17  Show Profile

While in the UK last year I rekindled a friendship from the mid 70s.
Maurice Gleeson and Mike Miles both from the Manchester area.
Avid enthusiasts of six cylinder MGs. Over a couple of beers and lunch
they recalled a few of the details of the cars, chassis’ and engines that they owned
during that time. Mike gave me a list of some of them and they are curious to know where they are now.

L0583. JC 1705. Original engine 921AL. N-Type engine installed.
Engine 921AL went to Peter Warne for his K3 Rep.

Chassis. L0484. Rebuilt to rolling condition, sold to John Worth
a classic car dealer from Switzerland 1984/85.

Chassis. L0583

Chassis L0504. Engine 559AL. ABL 339

Info. on any would be appreciated. I'll
be meeting up with Mike and Maurice next month.

Thanks.

Brian.

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  19:30:34  Show Profile
Hello, Brian.

Sorry I can’t help with your search but I remember going to see Maurice and Mike in Manchester in the 70s. Maurice took me for a spin in one of his L types ( can’t remember the registration number ) and he frightened the life out of me ! We were always interested in 6 cylinders and had a very happy trip down to Colvin Gunn’s place for parts. It was Peter Warne who bought his KN /K3 rep from me about 1978.

I recently met up with Mike and Maurice and it was great to see them back in the MG fold again.

Thanks for rekindling old memories and best of luck with your search.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  19:35:23  Show Profile
Hi Brian,
I have emailed you direct

Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  19:35:44  Show Profile

Correction to the above as my memory sometimes plays tricks. It was Peter Long who bought my KN /K3 rep. Peter Warne once pipped me to buying a Type 75 ENV preselector gearbox and it took me a long time to get over it !

Cheers,

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  20:00:07  Show Profile
Hi Brian

L0583 - there has been no recent news of this car and there is nothing on file. The Registration was JC 1705, engine number 921AL. there is no information as to original body type.

L0484 - was a salonette but now stated to be a 2 seater. There is no recent information but the car may be in Holland?

L0504 - original Registration ABL 339, engine number 559AL. Like the other two there has been no recent news although the car may be in Switzerland. This car was also originally a saloon but the information shows it has a 2 seat body.

Not too much positive information! Hopefully this post might produce some information.

Regards

George
Registrar F/L/N types.

Edited by - George Eagle on 16/08/2018 20:01:30
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  20:41:07  Show Profile
Brian,

L0504 does live in Switzerland and is a complete running car. It is however presently fitted with a genuine original L2 body. The chassis has not been shortened to L2 length.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  21:57:02  Show Profile
Brian,

Here is a picture of L0504.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2018 :  16:54:53  Show Profile
Thank you for the replies so far.
Also to Peter for finding and posting the photo. I'm sure "The lads" will enjoy it.

The details that they sent to me were in a format that I initially had trouble with.
However, I have managed to covert it to Word doc.
The following is exactly what they wrote.

Quote:

MG L Types

JC 1705, ex Duffy/Rakowski and Forster?

This car was owned by a local man (Prestwich), Forster, from the early ‘50’s, he lengthened the wheelbase and fitted a saloon body. Bought by Duffy/Rakowski in early ‘60’s, also Prestwich locals, and incidentally both went to same secondary school as Maurice and self!! They had considerable interest in MMM cars and acquired a mountain of six cylinder spares.

Maurice acquired the car in late ‘60’s together with most of the “mountain of spares” and proceeded to complete the car with what we called the “bath tub” body. During mid ‘70’s car was used regularly, body was changed for rebuilt doorless J2 body from ABJ 52 and an N engine installed, performance arrived. Original L engine (921AL) sold to Peter Warne for K3 rep.
Maurice sold car in 1977 to a chap called Pilkington and I bought most of the spares including L1 chassis, L0484 as below.

Engine No 921AL, replaced with N engine, no record of ident.

Chassis No L0583

ABJ 52, bought from John Stacey, Rushton Farm, East Stoke, near Wareham, Dorset in July 1972 for £235.
Complete car including a J2 body, two cylinder heads, one N, one L, magneto, rev counter and "NE" camshaft.

Engine No 559AL

Chassis No L0504

Body, woodwork subsequently rebuilt by my father, and re-panelled in ally, Braddock?, and then fitted to JC1705.
A new pointed tail, K3-style body, was made by Braddock for ABJ 52.

Sold to George Greenwood in Cockermouth for £1,450 in Feb 1977 and bought back a couple of years later.
Car came down to Rugby with me in 1983 and I sold it and RV7125 to John Warth, a classic car dealer, from Switzerland in 1984/5.

RV7125?, also ex Duffy/Rakowski

Chassis No L0484

Really wonderful L1 chassis frame, I must have built this up to rolling chassis as it was in that form when sold with ABJ52.

Thus we had no involvement in six cylinder cars until acquiring UAS 720 in 2015!!

End Quote.

Any info. on any of the above please don't hesitate to post.

Brian.

The above details were originally sent to me from Mike Miles

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 18/08/2018 16:59:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000