Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 M Type Crankshaft needed
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt Spoljarevic

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2018 :  13:18:10  Show Profile
Thank you those that replied to my previous thread regarding replacement gears. The Gearbox has now been overhauled and awaiting installation.

However now the hunt is on for a Crankshaft. While the Gearbox was out, the motor was sent off for once over, the crank was crack tested and found to have 2 cracks in it.

I have been able to locate a supplier with second hand cranks in the UK, but unfortunately is unable to have them tested, and without this, its a little risky having one sent over to Australia.

I have also contacted Phoenix, and am aware they make a new crank, but I am unsure if these can be used without upgrading the bearings and rods, or if any other modification work would be required to fit them. I have someone here that can do the white metal bearings, and as the car will only be used for weekend drives, I would prefer to keep it with those bearings.

Could anyone give me some advise on the best way to proceed with this. Are there other options for cranks for these, new or second hand? Any advise would be welcomed

Below is the crank from my car (1932 M Type), in case there are variations between year models

Onno

Netherlands
1059 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2018 :  14:22:12  Show Profile
No help with an original crank, but do make sure it is crack free and has enough journal size and corner radiuses acceptable.
I think a friend of mine discarded 4 cranks before finding an acceptable one.

As for the phoenix crank, this can still work with the white metal rear (needs sizing to match the crank) and ball race at the front.
Not sure about the rods though.
It does give a lot of insurance against buying a new block...

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2018 :  14:36:06  Show Profile
Hi Matt,
Phoenix can supply what they call a lightweight crank for the M. You can use standard rods, re metalled to suit, but the rear main is larger so needs the bronze bush boring to allow the new white metal to be cast. I have fitted two in the past without problem.
Regards,
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Roel Harryvan

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2018 :  09:45:06  Show Profile
You can also try ,
http://www.crankshaft.be/
Gr , Roel Harryvan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic