Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Wanted M types!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2018 :  18:22:39  Show Profile
Next April is the 90th anniversary of the M types winning two gold medals and two silver medals on the Lands End Trial.
This event is still run by the Motor Cycling Club have a class R for older cars in "hot and sunny" Cornwall next Easter Saturday.
It is proposed that the start would be a Wilsey Down in north Cornwall, just off the A395 Launceston/Camelford road, and climbing tarmac hills of Ruses Mill, Hustyn and Old Blue Hills travelling about 80 miles to the finish near Penzance.
I would like to take part in the event, but I would like preferably other M types, but also MMM cars, so that we could re-enact the 1929 event.
It would be possible to leave trailers at Wilsey Down, and you would not have to join the M.C.C. as the M.G.C.C. would be an invited club.
I hope others are "up for it"!

Mike Dalby

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2018 :  19:11:01  Show Profile
I love the idea Mike!!

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hornet

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2018 :  19:58:50  Show Profile
Didn't realise 90 years ago MCC trials sections were run on Tarmac .
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2018 :  21:12:26  Show Profile
They did not run on tarmac 90 years ago. The roads they ran on have since been tarmacked!!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2018 :  07:38:49  Show Profile
I can't find anything online regarding what you are wanting to do Mike? Route, regulations, timing etc I can't find on the MCC website. :(

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3679 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2018 :  10:59:44  Show Profile
Hello Colin,
I think the reason why you can't find anything in terms of Regs at this stage is that Mike has been using his initiative (as usual!) to get the M.C.C. to agree this format and the hills mentioned. I think he's fairly confident that this will all come together in the way described, but the formalities may take a little while longer!

The M.C.C. in this context is of course not the Marylebone Cricket Club and it is certain that the hills, even if they have been 'tarmaced'since the early days would be nothing like as smooth as the green sward of St Johns Wood!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2018 :  11:16:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

Hello Colin,
I think the reason why you can't find anything in terms of Regs at this stage is that Mike has been using his initiative (as usual!) to get the M.C.C. to agree this format and the hills mentioned. I think he's fairly confident that this will all come together in the way described, but the formalities may take a little while longer!

The M.C.C. in this context is of course not the Marylebone Cricket Club and it is certain that the hills, even if they have been 'tarmaced'since the early days would be nothing like as smooth as the green sward of St Johns Wood!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

well done Mike, that's fantastic. Many thanks for the update Dick

Colin Murrell
D0285
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2018 :  12:11:20  Show Profile
Many thanks Dick!
The regulation are not out yet as we still have the Motor Cycling Club Exeter Trial to contend with on the 6th January!!
We could do with lots of photos at the start and other hills!!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2018 :  17:18:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mike the M

Many thanks Dick!
The regulation are not out yet as we still have the Motor Cycling Club Exeter Trial to contend with on the 6th January!!
We could do with lots of photos at the start and other hills!!

Mike Dalby

Hi Mike, if you send me time and location details let's see what fits with existing plans for that weekend

Colin Murrell
D0285
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2018 :  19:24:59  Show Profile
Estimated 2-3000 spectators at Bluehills in 1929. Found this photo from the 1930 event.

Colin Murrell
D0285

Edited by - colintf on 17/12/2018 19:26:30
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2018 :  15:03:48  Show Profile
Colin, What a super photo ypu have found of VK 39 on the old Bluehills. No doubt our M type supremo will be able to tell us if it still exists. What a smart looking car it is, well prepared for trials with its spare wheel atop the boot allowing space for a spare diff and half shaft beneath. It looks remarkably clean, perhaps the sun shone pre-war. My memories include stinging hailstones the size of golf balls across Bodmin Moor and snow at the Roost!
Mike Dolby is to be lauded for organising this jolly with the MCC and I hope lots of M types (plus other MMMM's) will come out to support him. The Bluehills section shown in the photo is the one that will be used for the event but, of course, now tarmaced.
Incidentally is that a young Colin Butchers watching on the right hand side?
Happy trialling! Alan
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2018 :  15:11:57  Show Profile
Hi Alan
It's a great photo
I am tempted, once details are known, to join Mike with my D Type :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2018 :  10:41:06  Show Profile
Colin's photo appears to show W.H.H.Jebb on the 1930 Lands End Trial as number 178. The car does not survive and is a Newcastle registration.
However I am not sure when the New Blue Hills was used as my photo is 1932 and is on the OLD Blue Hills hairpin bend.
Old Blue Hills goes to the left, and New Blue Hills used today goes to the right.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2018 :  11:16:27  Show Profile
your photo's don't really do the gradients proper justice Mike. Both are steeper than appear :)
I've emailed you this morning :)
New Blue Hills certainly 70's at least, onwards (we always went down there during my childhood) , but New Blue Hills has changed again since then up new the top from memory
cheers
Col

Colin Murrell
D0285
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000