Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Q Type Book
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  11:45:00  Show Profile
Hello,
Has anyone ever wrote a book specifically on the Q Types, history, development etc? Q's are mentioned in just about every MG book that has been printed, but is there one just for the Q's?
Thanks,
Paul.

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  13:32:01  Show Profile
This is what wikipedia say's about them: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Q-type
If only 8-9 originals were made it would be a pretty thin book ;-)

Regards James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 07/02/2019 13:37:26
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  13:58:27  Show Profile
Thanks James, aware of how many Q's were made and how many still survive, but I was wondering if anyone had compiled a history of the development, races competed in, period photos etc. Back in the day they were quite successful and between them did hold many records some held by famous drivers, so the book if there is one shouldn't be so thin should it?
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  14:18:09  Show Profile
The picture used in the Wikipedia write up is not a Q type. It is the Kayne Special.
The list in the Triple M Register 2017 is incomplete. Chassis number QA 0252 is not recorded .
Go to Top of Page

Andy Rogers

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  14:20:15  Show Profile
I think Colin Butchers is your man. He seems to be the fount of all knowledge on Qs and perhaps he could be persuaded to write a book on them. I think he had a good article in the Yearbook many years ago.

Hope you don’t mind me singing your praises Colin !

Andy Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2028 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  14:24:25  Show Profile
Hello all.

I am not aware of a book ever to be published specifically about the MG Q type which is a great shame.

This fantastic little car has probably suffered by being in the shadow of it’s big brother, the K3.

There are many good books which have been published about other cars with very low production figures e.g. the NE type ( seven built ).

Chris
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  15:47:57  Show Profile
RE thickness of the book, it was a joke, not to be taken seriously. Cars to me are empty tin boxes on 4 wheels, some of them prettier than others but still...

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  18:28:51  Show Profile
James, I knew you were joking don't worry! But I still find it strange that no one has ever produced a book, no matter how small just about the Q Types.
Cheers,
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  10:19:30  Show Profile
Thank you Andy for mentioning my name. I have had a fondness for the Q Type for many years and for almost 40 years I have been compiling the history of all of the eight cars built plus two extras which are alleged to have been built but which have never come to light. I worked closely with Mike Hawke and Jay Hall with a view to this information being included in a quite massive work to carry on from their "K3 Dossier" but publication problems and then Mike's untimely passing meant that the project was shelved. Fortunately, Karl Wiessmann took up the work, and produced his "Hawke History of MMM Competition Cars" which includes everything that I had gathered together (with an enormous amount of help from Tim Jackson in respect of the two cars living in Australia). Karl's book devotes twenty pages to the Q Types which represents far more per car than many of the other entries in the book, and to be perfectly frank, I think that there is very little more to be discovered about the eight cars than has already been published. The only thing missing is a bunch of photographs but although I have tried to collect as many as possible, there is a considerable scarcity of new Q Type material about. If I compare what is to hand with the wealth of photographic material which Pete Thelander has managed to collect for his really excellent "NE Archives" book, I know that I could not do anything which could do justice to the Q Type story.

So, as the expression goes "For that reason, I am out".

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  10:38:44  Show Profile
Thanks Colin, I see that Karl's book is sold by the Club, I'll get one on order!
Cheers,
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  11:54:35  Show Profile
Colin and Forum:

Random idea and a possible " cunning plan".
Have you considered a web-site as a half way-house to book project?
Allows information to be stored and accessible to interested people.
Will bring further research details and photographs.
Plus if camera ready a publisher would be more interested.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3243 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  12:48:54  Show Profile
I have a copy of the Carl Wiessmann book which is a very valuable source of information supplied by the many experts Carl names including Colin Butchers and Cat Spoelstra.

It would be nice if Colin's photos could be published in some form. I know Cat is in the throes of writing a book on the C types, wouldn't be wonderful if this could be expanded to include the 8 Q types. Sorry Cat

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1050 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  17:40:56  Show Profile
Nooooo
George don’t tempt Cat to extend the book to include Q type’s!
Then we would have to wait an other 10 years to see it published ;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  22:10:34  Show Profile
Funny lot, you are !
If only I had fallen for the Q-types; with only 8 of them as opposed to 44 of the C-types, I’d have finished this whole book thing ages ago !
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2028 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  00:47:16  Show Profile

Hello, Cat.

Dare I ask when you think your book on the C types is likely to be published ??!!

Thank you,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  06:16:42  Show Profile
Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realise right after I have said them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000