Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Springs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  14:29:23  Show Profile
I am not wholly persuaded by the Eaton explanation. I have seen "diamond" shaped leaves that have worn their shape quite deeply into its mate. If you want to reduce the load at this point wouldn't it make more sense to taper the thickness at the end?

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  15:58:08  Show Profile
I've just been looking at one of the rear springs from my PA. They were on it & definitely looking rather old in 1966 & have square ends to intermediate leaves.

The trailing end of the bottom leaf is stamped "MG 505" & "BERRY". 505 is the MG part number for a P Type rear spring which I can see a manufacturer using when the cars were fairly current. Would they still be doing so after the war though? On the other hand the illustration in my parts list seems to show tapered ends so who knows; it looks as though it was indeed a question of different suppliers.

I tend to agree with Gordon that tapering in thickness must be useful. each leaf of my springs, with a sharp edge at its end, has cut its way into the one above. If that edge had been rounded off that effect must be lessened.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000