Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New tyres
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clockmansfield

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2019 :  13:38:08  Show Profile
Hi, I need new tyres for my M type.Where is the best place to go?

MarkS

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2019 :  09:27:41  Show Profile
Longstone or Vintage Tyres usually a good starting point
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2019 :  09:48:17  Show Profile
I have always had excellent service from Blockley Tyres who actually make a wide range of tyres for vintage cars including heavy duty inner tubes. Suggest you add Blockley to your list when shopping around.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2019 :  10:25:21  Show Profile
There's no such thing as the best tyre, only the best tyre for your motoring. It probably extends therefore as the best place is the one that stocks the best tyre for your requirements.

Try and pick a tyre first, then the place. Maybe get advice from here or the various dealers but do you want competition type grip and shorter life, or long life but are prepared to compromise on the grip? Maybe appearance is your thing, or maybe fuel economy or price. Tyres are without doubt a compromise so think about your requirements then the rest should follow.

That said the suggestions so far are pretty good :-)
Go to Top of Page

DanPA

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2019 :  15:00:45  Show Profile
For North America, Coker Tire is closing out a range of bias vintage-style tires. They still have the 400-19 for $85 each. They ride and handle well for me on my PA. (They have sold out the 450-19 size for TCs.) From their site:

"The Excelsior Comp V is a bias ply tire that works well on many pre-World War II automobiles. The Comp V features a tread design inspired by vintage racing tires, and it is DOT approved. The Comp V product line has been replaced by the Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial, but we have leftover inventory in many sizes. With the Comp V being phased out of production, we are cutting prices and liquidating our stock."

https://www.cokertire.com/400-19-excelsior-comp-v.html

Daniel Shockey
Go to Top of Page

clockmansfield

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2019 :  15:35:43  Show Profile
Thanks for all the information gentlemen. I am limited to 1500 miles per year so am tempted to go for the best handling tyres as opposed to longevity.I wouldn’t wear them out very quickly.
Go to Top of Page

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2019 :  16:25:54  Show Profile
Longstone do a 400/450 with a three block pattern which I think looks good and is grippy. When they launched it it was v good value although I think it may be a bit dearer now.

john
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2019 :  21:25:13  Show Profile
Are you sure it just needs tyres Geoff?
I was surprised how much better my M ran after MWS (in Langley near you), trued the wheels, fitted new tubes with vintage valves and balanced them. I won't say that it makes the M40 a pleasure exactly, but the steadiness above 40mph came as a revelation.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

clockmansfield

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2019 :  22:32:15  Show Profile
Hi John,
The car handles pretty well but the tyres are now over twenty five years old I believe they are motorbike tyres as well, hence my wish to change them.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2019 :  12:00:26  Show Profile
MWS (Motor Wheel Services) fit Blockleys and the last time I went they had a stack of wheels with Blockleys fitted, which were bound for Morgan for their three wheelers.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 24/04/2019 12:01:10
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2019 :  14:49:28  Show Profile
I am astounded that anyone would drive a car on public roads fitted with 25yr old motorcycle tyres!!

Go to Top of Page

DanPA

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2019 :  15:42:34  Show Profile
By the way, I used ceramic beads inside the tubes to balance my wheels/tires. They work really well and adapt automatically as the tires wear. There are no ugly weights and I can do it myself. Read reviews on amazon for more info, especially from the motorcycle guys who push their vehicles a bit faster than we.

Cheers,
Dan

Daniel Shockey
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2019 :  16:51:06  Show Profile
Dan, I used the ceramic beads,and I agree with you. They work well enough to not notice them, though not under about 25mph.
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2019 :  17:12:17  Show Profile
To answer the astonishment of 'etlanpa' , may I refer to the posting started on the subject of tyres on the Technical Forum dated 11th February of this year . Early tyres had a higher percentage of chemicals now deemed noxious , mainly carbon and sulphur , and thus lasted longer . I certainly would not dream of trying to get a 'modern' tyre to last 25 years .
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2019 :  17:17:47  Show Profile
I have used these ceramic beads and agree with the comments. Just one thought, I would want to be certain of the integrity of all the rotating components first as any slow failure of one of those components could be masked by the auto balancing effect and lead to a more severe problem.

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2019 :  20:05:09  Show Profile
This topic has been visited recently in January or February and there are further words of wisdom in Technical page 5 I think. I have Excelsior Comp H 4.00 x 19 on my J2 and am very pleased with them. Bought and fitted at Longstone Tyres.

David

J 3355

Edited by - David R on 24/04/2019 20:15:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000